Dragstar 650 top speed

Dejavuagain
This post is 4326 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I hope not as my XVS125 would creep up to 70 flat out... I would check the carb joint for cracks and possibly the chain and sprockets to see if they're ok. That's about the limit of my technical abilities but I'm sure someone else can offer some advice

Check your idle speed and air/fuel mixture.

You have factory standard pipes? If not, you may need to re-jet.

Mine would cruise at 92mph easily enough and top out at 107mph. 85 is about your best average m/way speed - You don't really want more than that as your riding position is that of a kite and you'll destroy your neck muscles trying to sustain more than 85 for any length of time.

Then again, I get shouted at by my mechanic as I ride the thing like a hoolie bike anyway, heh heh!

After rejetting my carbs 5 times n taking every bit of use less shit off it my bike gets up to 100 mph (just) but it mainly accelerates quick as I have got straight through pipes, short ram cone filters onto the carbs and 122.5 main jets and dyno kit diaphram needles and different pilot jets on.

It has remus after market pipes. so looks like rejetting is answer. Will pull plugs to see if its running rich or not. I fitted screen so feels more comfortable. But tops out at 80 on motorway. If anyone can recommend jet kits and suppliers,would be grateful.

mines a 98 classic with the screen fitted and i cruise at 80 with no problem

fastest i've been on it was 90 but as ttask said its hard to be comfortable at that speed

with straight throughs mine is more acceleration than top speed

• Like 1

I hope not as my XVS125 would creep up to 70 flat out... I would check the carb joint for cracks and possibly the chain and sprockets to see if they're ok. That's about the limit of my technical abilities but I'm sure someone else can offer some advice

what chain and sprockets?????

i mostly trundle around at 60 70 only ever tried it once on the motorway and topped out at 115, and shes completely standard :eusa_whistle:

Hmmm.........i wonder if mine needs a service or some thing as when i 1st got the bike it only done 85 so i was chuffed when i finally got 100 out of it but that was down hill lol so if you got 115 out of a standard one then there has to be some thing wrong with my baby :( or your just talking shit :biglaugha:

Its a shaft drive

Check your idle speed and air/fuel mixture.

You have factory standard pipes? If not, you may need to re-jet.

Mine would cruise at 92mph easily enough and top out at 107mph. 85 is about your best average m/way speed - You don't really want more than that as your riding position is that of a kite and you'll destroy your neck muscles trying to sustain more than 85 for any length of time.

Then again, I get shouted at by my mechanic as I ride the thing like a hoolie bike anyway, heh heh!

Can you recommend hand held tacho for checking idle speed? rear cylinder runs hot too. so will have to check valve clearances correct and carbs are synchronised

Don't forget that the rear cylinder will run hotter that the front as the air is blocked by the front thus not cooling the rear as much as the front. ;)

Can you recommend hand held tacho for checking idle speed?

Dunno - Ask my mechanic. He does all the fiddly bits that use expensive equipment.

I usually do it by ear. If you then go for a ride and find it a bit laggy in throttle response, turn it up. If it revs like mad at 'idle', turn it down. You want a nice doog-a-doog-a-doog-a-doog-a sound, rather that a sputtery 'potato potato' of a Harley.

As Noise mentioned, alter the balance to keep the rear cylinder cool as well. I used a Colortune kit.

Hmmm.........i wonder if mine needs a service or some thing as when i 1st got the bike it only done 85 so i was chuffed when i finally got 100 out of it but that was down hill lol so if you got 115 out of a standard one then there has to be some thing wrong with my baby :( or your just talking shit :biglaugha:

Ha ha no straight up buddy :razz:

Ha ha no straight up buddy :razz:

:madflame: Right im royally pissed now. Gunna get thinking to where my speed has gone. :eusa_think:

i mostly trundle around at 60 70 only ever tried it once on the motorway and topped out at 115, and shes completely standard :eusa_whistle:

Lies.

The Drag speedo only goes up to an indicated 110mph, which equates to about 94.5mph in real terms.

You were either going an actual 98mph, or were reading in km.

Dunno - Ask my mechanic. He does all the fiddly bits that use expensive equipment.

I usually do it by ear. If you then go for a ride and find it a bit laggy in throttle response, turn it up. If it revs like mad at 'idle', turn it down. You want a nice doog-a-doog-a-doog-a-doog-a sound, rather that a sputtery 'potato potato' of a Harley.

As Noise mentioned, alter the balance to keep the rear cylinder cool as well. I used a Colortune kit.

doog a doog a doog brilliant

Lies.

The Drag speedo only goes up to an indicated 110mph, which equates to about 94.5mph in real terms.

You were either going an actual 98mph, or were reading in km.

seriously she clocked out and a bit, it was on the M6 with my mrs following in the car, its common knowledge that speedo's are over clocked on speed, OOO just realized that if dejaveuagain is clocking 80 tops thats not good news as its prob in the region of 75, could be worth balancing the carbs or loosing a few stone :eusa_whistle: only kidding x