XVS 250 gearing change

Jesus
This post is 4336 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've been wanting a 250cc cruiser to make my commute a bit cheaper petrolwise and a bit more comfortable. I've got my eye on a 250 Dragstar. Since it's going to be spending a lot of time on the motorway, I'd like to change the gearing to suit. I've done a bit of research and from what I can tell it looks like its predecessor, the XV 250 Virago, was pretty easy to mod but the Dragstar (crap name btw, makes it sound like a bloke in a dress) has a funny sized chain which reduces your options for sprockets.

Is it possible to chuck the 428 chain and get, say, a 520 chain and then replace the sprockets with something like 17T front, 43T rear? How much work would be involved? I don't know a lot about gearing I'm afraid.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have absolutely no idea, other than to suggest if you're on the motorways a lot perhaps you should consider a bigger XVS eg the 600, or fuel injected 950 both of which would be much more comfortable at speed than the 250?? May work out less hassle?

Thanks Clarke, I've got my my heart set on a 250 to save petrol. Currently riding a 600 Divvy and it's a bit on the thirsty side, plus the riding position isn't as comfortable as I would like.

I've been wanting a 250cc cruiser to make my commute a bit cheaper petrolwise and a bit more comfortable. I've got my eye on a 250 Dragstar. Since it's going to be spending a lot of time on the motorway, I'd like to change the gearing to suit. I've done a bit of research and from what I can tell it looks like its predecessor, the XV 250 Virago, was pretty easy to mod but the Dragstar (crap name btw, makes it sound like a bloke in a dress) has a funny sized chain which reduces your options for sprockets.

Is it possible to chuck the 428 chain and get, say, a 520 chain and then replace the sprockets with something like 17T front, 43T rear? How much work would be involved? I don't know a lot about gearing I'm afraid.

Assuming that the 250 is pretty much the same as the XVS125, then yes you could change the sprockets. Smaller on the front will give better acceleration but increased revs, smaller on the back will give the opposite. There are many, many threads on here about changing sprockets/ carb jets/exhausts etc to try to improve performance of the XVS 125 and 250. Its always a trade off, may invalidate your insurance, and reduce the life of the engine. Chains can be shortened or lengthened to suit any new sprocket set up. 250 Dragstar should cruise at 65 to 70, perhaps 80 flat out as standard?

Your not looking at the 3 grand one from Wigan Yamaha are you, horrendously overpriced.

Good luck

I saw that one in Wigan and thought the same thing. For that price I'd want at least a 600cc bike with low mileage... Going back to the original question I'm not convinced a 250 dragstar is the right bike for motorway useage, as you'll be riding at relatively high revs compared to a bigger bike it won't do the engine any favours and I guarantee after 6 months you'll wish you had more cc's. I've got a 300cc scooter which is great for the commute through the city, and whilst it'll do motorway speeds it is not designed for it and you get battered by the wind, feel vulnerable and there's nothing left to get you out of trouble if you need it (you'll be surprised how many cars start to speed up as you start overtaking)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online