Yamaha SR125

Supersonic837
This post is 4347 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

i recently purchased a Yamaha SR125 it was ok when i went to see it, but as it was late by the time i got home i just took it out the car and put it in the garden. Anyway it takes a long time to get the engine started messing with the choke (which doesnt stay out, it has to be held out) and once its warmed up (which takes about 10 mins of holding the choke out) during the first week or so of using it after getting it started it always cuts out at junctions and traffic lights unless i keep revs on, and then the other day i took it out and was going along a 40 mph road and it tried cutting out but the more i pulled on the throttle to keep gas on the more the engine seemed to want to cut out, after this it seemed to start up fine but when i got down the road it did it again and this continued on my journey home and so i dare not use it. What could be the problem and what is the solution,

cheers in advance for any help and or advice

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

give it a tune up first, check timing and valves.

carb could need overhauling if the above doesn't work.

get yourself a manual and read the troubleshooting section too

• 3 weeks later...

My boys 1992 sr125 was doing the same thing

The choke return is a common fault and the way (bodge) he got round it was by wrapping an elastic band around the fueltap. When he pulls the choke out he stretches the elastic band over and round the choke. This saves him riding along holding onto the choke.

He has also had issues with the bikes running and losing power. After checking everything we traced it to the CDIunit being on he way out.

As drewpy says, I checked the timing,ensuring the advance mechanism wasn't sticking, valve clearances and camchain tensioner. I also replaced the plug, cap lead and coil.

This seems to have helped a lot

I have the same problem on my 1993. However, due to a previous owner who managed to wreck both the little inspection window to check the timing and some of the screws on the crank case I can't even get TDC check the values.

Mine only happens when the engine has warmed up. Is that the case with yours too? Mine was doing it alot, I changed the plug, and did the carb and now it only happens after about 30 mins.

Mine also has the classic SR125 engine rattle that I have been told is very common. And yes, the choke is stupid on the bike.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online