need help wiring my 1981 dt

This post is 4341 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi was wondering can anyone help me with the wiring of my dt?it would be a great help if i knew where the main electrical bits attach to the bike like the voltage regulator,flasher,rectifier etc.the bike had no wiring except for coil on off switch just enuf to have the engine running i want to put it all back on.i have all the bits and the hanes manual guide to do it,its not helping very much doh.the way the wiring is on the bike now is confusing me il try and explain it here ders 4 wires coming from the engine going to a black box which manual says is a fuse and the diagram shows it near the battery??but on the bike its attached near the coil that goes to spark plug the 4 wires go into that and 2 come out a black and an orange.black isnt being used and the orange is going to the on off switch and then to the coil.im nearly sure its just a botch job to have the bike running and it does drives fine but ive restored the whole bike nearly and would like to have this rite to..any help would be great thanks..il put some pictures up later mite explain it beter dan i can haha!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

all went well wiring the dt everything is in the rite place,the plug is sparking away when the key and the switch is turned on so all is good,the only thing is i got the wiring harness from yambits der on ebay and their seems to be a few wires missing from it,one of the wires coming from the engine the red one has no place to plug into the harness and it should because it goes to the cdi unit from their,but at the point it connects to the cdi it is their, odd!! ,and the red from the battery isnt their either the black - for the batery is their but no red + and again that red goes to the rectifier and at the rectifier it is their!! did i just hapen to get a dodgy harness or am i supposed to splice into it myself and add these wiress??i didnt think id have to be cutting the harness and adding wires would that be rite like??

That red from the engine is there IF its needed. Both the 79 and the 80-onwards bikes wiring is almost identicle, the difference being the cdi. The 79 has 7 wires and the 80- has 6 the odd one being a red. Goes directly from the stator to the cdi.

If you have 7 wires at the cdi you need to use it and connect it to the red at the stator. No red at the engine and 6wire cdi, just tuck it out the way.

yeah theirs 7 wires on the cdi.and the wire on the loom that i tought went into the cdi was actually the battery wire i traced it back.so the loom was missing the red wire connecting from the engine to cdi so i just ran one tru myself everything else was there.so i think i have it all done now wish me luck!! what is that extra wire for do u know?

no need to worry Jason but this 1981 bike would have left the factory with a mk2 ignition system...6 wire CDI and no source coil 2 in the magneto

but you might check the number on the magneto rotor is the correct one for the mk1 version, it should be Mitsubishi F3T250, it has two slots in the face of the flywheel :thumb:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online