Is Fully comp worth it for a Small bike?

JoeS
This post is 4226 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

This is just a general conversation that I would like peoples opinions with, I currently have a Yamaha Ybr125 Custom 58 reg under fully comp costing me a massive £400 a year for it...

Now ive heard arguments that with cheaper bikes a small accident will pretty much allways result in a cat D write off. Im not massivly educated in Insurance so what is your opinion?

Is it worth getting fully comp or should cheaper bike riders stick with Third party or third part F+T?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If you're not going to be riding any other bike other than your own and the area you keep you bike is an OK enviroment and not many dickheads about that will attempt to steal the bike then just make sure its locked up in a safe place and go for Third party only, how much cheaper would it be with just 3rd party? if its not a great amount then stick with fully comp, dont forget it will get cheaper as the years pass without any claims :)

I wouldn't say i knew too much about insurance but hopefully this helps you?

I think I could have got 3rd Party for about £300. I seem to live in an ok area, I only moved here in December and its totally new, Seems ok tho.

If they were asking £1000 to cover fully comp and 300 for tpft on a £1000 bike then tpft is the way to go.

But in your case, 100quid difference. Not much in it really.

Same as for me fully comp is meaningless, ANY damaged parts on my Tdr or the DT will result in a total loss write off as the bits are nigh impossible to get. Most of the TDR parts have been out of production for years. They are both under agreed value classic policies that have a set value.

I have fully comp cos they offered free cover for clothes and helmet and it was only £30 more than TPFT plus I get £40 cashback after 30 days and full rider legal cover, mind you I am probably 300 years older than you and as such not the same risk (ha ha yeah right!) you can insure your self on the cheap but if you have a knock your on your own regarding repairs and replacement, at least with fully comp your going to get something back I suppose. :jossun:

Now ive heard arguments that with cheaper bikes a small accident will pretty much allways result in a cat D write off.

And I've heard dogs can't look up...

£400 a year is quite reasonable. My first 125 was £380 FC.

I've always gone Fully Comp, separate Lid & Leathers cover, uninsured loss, legal cover, pillion, riding others' bikes, gotten every available extra going and made damn sure it includes the most comprehensive breakdown/assist/recovery thing available. Never regretted it.

Your call...

I would agree with the others that £100 isn't really that much of a difference given what extra you get with FC. I also own a YBR custom and have FC as use it to commute. Never know when some moron will knock it over, step on the exhaust or try take it for a joy ride.

I've had my fair run ins with people, Ive had cars swerve in front of me in order to nock me off or stop me, I've been attacked on them, I really could do with fully comp, but Im on third party, costing 210 quid, I should have fully comp with this XVS nearly 2K when I bought it. However, at nearly a thousand pound a year, dont think so.

£400 quid is nice for fully comp but, if your a good rider and go steady, and no one hates you enough to nick or wreck the bike I'd go for third party fire and theft, if its locked up, third party.

I wouldnt risk going 3rd party only as its a bit of a gamble, you wont be covered if the bike gets stolen.

Even if it is locked up it can still be pinched if you go out and park up somewhere in public.

• 3 months later...

I cant get fully comp as my bike is an imported i only pay 100 a year as its 125 cc any advice wt other 125 to get cheapest bike an full comp please

There are so many variables, the only way to get a reasonable comparison is to mess about with comparison sites or do the leg work and ring around each insurer, getting quotes for each bike.

I'd suspect a Honda CG would be high on the list, though, along with other such very common models.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online