DT 175 MX 1978 Start up problems!

This post is 4357 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, After an 8 month restoration i started the bike today and surprise surprise it started and runs really well, but i have a few problems!

1 Fuel leaks from the carb overflow.

2 I can't get neutral.

3 The headlights don't work, just the side light.

I would appreciate any advice :eusa_whistle:

I would add a photo if i knew how

Thanks Pete.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Pete

Have you checked the float needle valve, if it sticks the float bowl will overflow, some times a light tap on the float bowl will re seat the valve,

If you can select neutral without the engine running then I would look at slacking off the clutch cable and re setting the clutch push rod at the actuator arm (lock nut and X head screw) then re adjusting the cable,

I think the head light will only work with the engine running, does on mine any how but my bike is older.

AJ

Don't swap in another one, that may be no better. Float valve seats last for years and don't fail all of a sudden. They get blamed for overflowing unfairly, people accuse that then adjust the floats when they fit the new one and magically its fixed the problem.

After a rebuild there is more likely a tiny bit of rubbish in there or the tang on floats need a tweak. I had to do my TDR a while back as that started to weep from the left carb.

One last thing, if the bike has a jack up kit its highly likely for it to leak due to the stand being short, mine is terrible for it.

The forks do have 2 inch extensions but i have made the stand longer so the angle isn't a problem, i will just give it a clean and maybe adjust the tab a bit more.

Thanks for that!

PS Does anyone else have trouble putting Photos on this site?

Thats the carb sorted, the spring in the needle valve was dead, i replaced it along with the valve seat, it was brown and manky.

The clutch is fine but i can't understant why i can't get neutral wether the bike is running or not, I can get 1st or 2nd but it just flicks past neutral, Anyone got any ideas?