Mod 1 minimum speed help!

Richard Read
This post is 4355 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I just took my mod 1 on a dragstar 125cc yesterday and failed :S the instructor said my handling for manoeuvres like u-turn, slalom etc was faultless but because I couldn't get my bike upto speed through the speed trap (minimum 32mph), I couldn't do the swerve or emergency stop exercises.

Any advice on how to achieve this speed on my type of bike? I felt like I was going as fast as I could reasonably go when going around the circuit bend, the max speed I achieved was 28mph

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Can you go any higher in the revs before changing gears? Might be able to get yourself up to speed a bit quicker? Did you do it in the wet which may have hindered your confidence?

I guess practice is the answer unless you can hire another bike?

It was a wet day, but the surface we were doing it on wasn't slippy as such. I'm going to practice this weekend as I've managed to get the test rebooked for this Tuesday, will try keeping the bike in second gear at high rev and see what's achievable. Just think if I exit the bend and shift upto third, my acceleration won't get me upto speed....if I can't do it then using a different bike might be plan B!

EDIT: Found this, hopefully others will find it useful: http://papajon.hubpages.com/hub/Pass-your-motorcyle-test-module-1

Something I figured too is my bike is lower than most bikes, kinda puts it in the back of my mind that my foot pedal might scrape the ground if I lean over too far

Ring the little fuckers neck! into 1st up to second thrash the little fucker out of the Apex just as its bouncing off the red into 3rd jobs a bobby!

Exactly how i done it on the 500cc, my only problem was keeping the front end down lol

The bikes not renowned for its acceleration. Youll have to screw it around the curve in second without draggin the footrests, quick change to 3rd and hope ittll hit the mark before the trap.

Count the number of teeth on the front sprocket, if its the standard 16 tooth, consider fitting a 15 tooth at the weekend, to give you sharper acceleration.

Probably not the best bike to do the test on

I would suggest practicing on a roundabout with not too much trafic. Make a full circle and leave the roundabout as fase as you feel safe. I bet after a few rounds you'll be a lot faster than you think.

Hire a bike like a ybr from an instructor or something as it'll be much easier for you to do all the maneuvers on & it is quicker acceleration. My mate failed his mod 1 five times of which 4 were speed trap. Turned out he was letting go of the accelerator before going through the trap, kept getting 31mph instead of 32mph...

Good luck with the retake!

Just goes to show what a load of old EU nonsense these tests actually are - expected to wring a bikes neck in the wet, totally daft.

I heard the speed swerve test is on its way out next year... BUT they're introducing tests to graduate cc sizes...

I heard the speed swerve test is on its way out next year... BUT they're introducing tests to graduate cc sizes...you don't get that in cars Madness.

Don't envy you doing it on a 125 but it is possible and now you have experience. 28 to 32 is just a matter of confidence!

Advice I got for Mod 1 (on a 600 mind you) don't look at the speedo and concentrate on getting your ENTRY speed up, that's what carries you through. As said above do not roll off the throttle until you are through timing gate. I was told second gear was plenty but not sure about your bike ... ask your instructor or, better still, get them to demonstrate.

We spent a bit of time one straight roads accellerating up to speed just to get used to the sound and feel of it. Like was said above find somewhere you can get used to a similar bend (perhaps not a roundabout!) and pound it for an hour. I spent a fair bit before my Mod 1 visualising all of the steps and riding it in my head ... worked for me.

Approach with confidence - once you are through test you will wonder what you were worried about ... best of luck!

Hire a bike like a ybr from an instructor or something as it'll be much easier for you to do all the maneuvers on & it is quicker acceleration.

do this.

Or keep it in 2nd and rev the shit out of it, youll lose revs and speed if you change upto 3rd. keep above 20 on the curve (the surface is very very grippy ((well mine was anyway)).

good luck!