Bluetooth headset?

slice
This post is 4358 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok so I admit it I am an old fart who when he wants to make a call used to look for a red phone box on the side of the road. Now apparently you can use one if these magical mobile jobbies that also wipes your arse and makes the tea (not in that order I hope) anyway got a new(ish) phone and it has this bluetooth thing and I was wondering if anybody on here might have some (clean) suggestions as to which B/tooth headset might be best to use on an OLD XJ 750 that makes more noise than a tractor at about 60MPH, my lid is ok and quite sound proof apart from the odd whistle from the wind now and then, it is a tight fit (no good slopping about is it) so I imagine that the head set thing will need to be quite slim to fit in my ear without trying to puncture my eardrum if it sticks out to far (headset not my ear) anyway it's a Samsung phone with all the bells and whistles but I was hoping I could use it while on the move. Any suggestions as to the best way of getting this sorted out would be welcome. Martin. :jossun:

Thanks in anticipation of your not unkind replies to an old sod who is quite at sea with all this modern gadgetry

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The only unkind thing I'd say is that you shouldn't be making phonecalls on yer bike - Car drivers do it all the time and kill us bikies far too often because of it. As an old sod, you're old enough to know better!

Only reason handheld radios aren't illegal to use while driving, like everything else, is that would mean Cops and Taxis would be affected.

As for technology - I only understand as much about it as I need to get the stuff I want. I know what a Blackberry is, for example, but I know enough to know that I'll never ever use one.

Now... I have a TomTom SatNav, which came with a Cardo Scala-Rider headset. That thing Bluetooths to the SatNav but also to my phone and works pretty well.

The holding bracket clips to your helmet rim (fnar fnar) on the left side and the main unit slots into the bracket, so you'd use your left hand to operate it.

It has a wire that runs up into your lid, with a thin speaker that sits against your ear in an approriate lining recess. There's also a long, flexible boom microphone that tucks up under and reaches to the front where yer gob is.

The unit on the outside has 4 buttons for on/off, answer and volume up/down.

I've tested it a couple of times on rides and found no problems. You have to set your phone up to recognise and Bluetooth to the headset, or link it in with the SatNav.

Comes with it's own charger and you don't *have* to unclip the unit off the bracket to charge it. But you can also do that, if you want. I usually just put lid on desk, plug in and leave a couple of hours.

Despite the flashy blue 'on' light, I've forgotten to turn the thing off and the power seems to last a good few days between charges... which is pretty amazing!

The Cardo unit I have is designed to work through my SatNav, but there are several other versions specifically for phone only, rider to pillion, bike to bike and combinations thereof. There's even ones that you can link in your music player things, I believe.

http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider

I have the cardo scala G4 which works great for rider to passenger, bike to bike and music/calls etc. The new G9 is coming out too which is supposed to link to up to 8 other headsets.

Thanks Ttaskmaster, a very concise answer and your right I don't really want to make calls while riding but would like to have the option if I need it, I was in fact thinking about the music side of it more than the phone and then thought that losing my hearing to good music is a recipe for suicide really as most car drivers seem to think I am just there to aim at and not being able to hear the buggers coming would be my last mistake. Don't use nor want a sat nav, that's why I came with a gob and 2 ears I can always ask someone where I need to go plus I trust MAPS they don't take you into peoples gardens or down bridle paths. Messenger pidgoens are messy foamy, they crap everywhere and you have to feed them. Still I would like to try out a descent headset and the one T/master has recommended will do nicely. So thank you all for your advice and I will get back to you if I have a problem. :jossun:

My wife and I have the Scala G4 head set. We bought it last year and it is a great unit. I agree with comments about not using the phone while riding...in BC it is against the law to use a cell phone while driving a car or riding a bike. However, when I ride I do set my cell phone up so that I get incoming calls. My usual proceedure is to acknowledge the call and tell the caller to give me a couple of seconds while I pull over to the curb. The phone has full voice commands ie you can initiate a call by saying the persons name, you can initiate a bike to bike call on the intercom by voice command.

The only problem with this unit is that in some cases it is difficult to initiate some features that rely on a button being pushed because of the gloves.

I use the FM radio a lot when I am on the highway or just tooling around on the back roads. I never use it in heavy traffic....it is just too dangerous.

The bike to bike intercom on the Scala G4 is 1.6 km and it works great. You can link three other bikes to your intercom, so if you are riding with a small group you can stay in touch.

The new G9, besides having the ability to link to 9 riders also has a quick contact feature which allowes one rider to contact all the bikes similtaneously to warn them of a road hazzard.

We paid $550 for the G4. I am not sure what the going rate for the G9 is.

In any event, I highly recommend the G4.

As for what features you use when riding that is each individuals choice, but you increase the risk of not being able to avoid a road hazzard or other situation if you are in the middle of a phone conversation or half asleep listening to the radio.

Ride safe.

Rocky