dtr 125 wont rev past 6000rpm

This post is 4364 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi i recently got a 2002 dtr 125.ive chnged all the fluids,plug and air filter as it had been stood,i took it out on the road today and it wont rev past 6-6500 rpm in any gear it just splutters,any idea wht it could be?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Easiest one is with your ears, turn the ig on and you should hear the noise of the powervalve going through its self clean cycle.

After that its spanners...... :eusa_doh:

When you turn on the key, the pv shold do the self clean as has been said, then it should stop and leave the slot in the pulley aligned with the 4mm blind hole in the cyl head. at this point the pv is fully open and the top of the exhaust port should be smooth all the way into the cyl bore...see my 'de restricting' sticky for pictures

the mark is lined up and it seems to be working,ive messed about with the choke and it seems to be sticking or something as it will rev straight up sometimes then it wont unless u play about with it the bikes been stood since august so maybe a carb clean.

Id suggest cleaning the carb like you've said, you probably have old fuel gunked up in the jets.

i think it maybe carb/fuel problem,it will rev to about 7000rpm now then it starts splutering badly if you hold it there,it feels like it wants to go more then its like it wants to cut not enough fuel or something when it gets to that point,any tips about how to clean the carb thanks

Buy some carb cleaner, strip the carb and give it a good clean making sure theres no crap in the jets. Its a straight forward job really.