1975 Yamaha RS100 turn signal issues!

Brendon
This post is 4347 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello, I have a 1975 Yamaha RS 100, and I have trouble on this simple 6v system for the turn signals, Turnsignals are all mounted and grounded, I bought a new relay switch, When I start the bike and turn the blinker switch to the right or left I hear one click in the relay then I notice that the blinker lights stay on but dont flash, my battery is fully charged, I dont understand why it is not working. If anybody has some info that can help me, please let me know. Thank you, Brendon

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Put the two bulbs marked 6v 17w in the front and back of the right hand side and put the indicator switch to the right and see if that works. You say the battery is fully charged but do the indicators come on without the engine running?

I agree with tony here, i suspect the chinese bulbs are 12v, if you have a multimeter a 12v bulb will display a higher resistance than a 6v one...if that were the case there wouldnt be enough current in the circuit to cause the relay to switch on and off

I put both on one side and tried it, it still does the same thing one click and they stay on, these are the original signals too... I did tap the relay with my finger gently and it clicked again, I paid $50 for this relay, is there a way to check if the relay is bad? its a three prong, I also have a Honda st90 if it has a signal relay could I hook it up just to see if its the new relay? Thanks for the reply's, I have done everything to this bike but this simple 6v system is killing me

I put the meter on the battery , it reads 6.2v I have 4 brand new bulbs 6v 17w, new off ebay relay NOS, still they flash once then stay lit, on both sides. I turned the bike on and the vibration of the bike will kick start the relay so they will flash , but if i hold the relay in my hand the just stay on. I turned the signal on and hit my brake And I noticed the signals flashed once and the brake light seamed to flash once also.

Check to make sure the wiring connectors to the indicators and relay are tight and not corroded and also the bulb sockets are clean. If the brake light flashes as well sounds like you have something wired wrong or a bad earth ( Plain Black wire on Yamaha's).

Hmmmm, i really dont want the speedo back on is there , is there a way to bypass?

you could try using 6v 21w lamps, see if that works...the flash may be a little faster but you wont know unless you try it

EDIT

you could even put 21w lamps in the fronts only and leave the 17w lamps in the back, this would give approx the right load for the correct flash rate

Im going to hook the speedo. back up to see if it works. Where would the ground be located at? Thank you so very much for your reply's!!!

if you just want to see if it works just remove an indicator lamp from the speedo and connect the ends across br/wh and Bk at the relay connector...it will be quicker for you

ok so thats a step in the right direction then

now try this, use a piece of wire as a jumper, touch one end to battery+ and the other end to Brown on the relay connector, see if the indicators work...dont think you will need to turn the key ON

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online