1972 G7S help

Sacha
This post is 4366 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I know this isn't exactly in line with the current topic for this thread, but it was the closest I could find. I am looking at a Yamaha 1972 G7S (in fact going to pick it up tonight... if I decide that I can find the pieces and manuals). It seems to be in really great shape, engine is in good shape (in that it has all of the parts). I won't have to do any body restoration, etc. But the one big draw back is that the girl I'm buying it from is saying that it will need a piston replaced (and the accompanying parts that go along with a piston replacement).

In a bike of this age and rarity is finding the parts for a piston replacement/potential engine rebuild going to be impossible or wildly expensive. Boiled down... is it worth it?

Thanks for any feedback!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I know this isn't exactly in line with the current topic for this thread, but it was the closest I could find. I am looking at a Yamaha 1972 G7S (in fact going to pick it up tonight... if I decide that I can find the pieces and manuals). It seems to be in really great shape, engine is in good shape (in that it has all of the parts). I won't have to do any body restoration, etc. But the one big draw back is that the girl I'm buying it from is saying that it will need a piston replaced (and the accompanying parts that go along with a piston replacement).

In a bike of this age and rarity is finding the parts for a piston replacement/potential engine rebuild going to be impossible or wildly expensive. Boiled down... is it worth it?

Thanks for any feedback!

Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond sooner amason.darby. I've seen pistons and rings available on Ebay although it seems like there are a couple of different piston styles mentioned. John from NW Vintage Cycle (http://www.nwvcp.com) out of Oregon has been very helpful for me. You may just check his site and Ebay to see if the parts you need are obsolete. A quick Google search can also bring up other resources. As I said in the PM, I have so far been successful in finding the parts I've needed, but those have just been the headlight, battery, rectifier, and other bulbs. I was not able to find the rack though, which is a bummer because I'd like to be able to carry things without using a backpack. Good luck!

On another note - Thank you AJ and Airhead for the advice. (endless thanks!!) I got my battery replaced and guess what?! The lights are all working correctly... well, except for the headlight because I blew it. :( I still need to test the rectifier, but I have it on hand, and I will have to get a new headlamp bulb ordered since no one carries 6V bulbs here. Thinking I might get a couple (just in case). :D

Happy riding all!

That's not my bike (unless this was the one I bought)... but my bike is the same. :D course I think my bike is running richer because I've got a bit more oil output from the exhaust than this bike does. I need to find out how to adjust the auto lube pump.

Aren't they beautiful? :)

My husband just pointed out that the bike in the video is missing all the lights... obviously I'm not very observant... other than that it's just like mine. :)

Got my new headlamp bulb in and it's already lasted longer than the last one. (YAY!) I think the new battery has done the trick, and I'm super stoked to get to ride at night... it's nice not having to worry about the time when I'm out and about. Anyway, I know I keep saying it (and I swear it's not a hollow threat) I'm still going to test the rectifier to see how well it's working.

I've been reading through old posts and trying to keep up with new member posts to see what's happening. I am amazed at some of these bikes you've customized and can only look forward to doing that for myself one of these days. I think I'll do like Drewpy mentioned in his blog and put up a picture of a bike that's inspiration for me to work toward, but not be afraid to deviate from it.

I just want to say thanks again to all of you!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online