What tool to use?

AndyBuk
This post is 4381 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to use a wrench and a ratchet wrench to remove bolts to fit engine bars. I need to remove the floorboards, but I can't get the stupid bolts to loosen. I have taken the floorboards off themselves to get better access to the front and rear bolts that attach to the bike.

Am I missing a trick or just lacking the strength required lol?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I assume you have used copious amounts of WD40 :eusa_whistle:

While you can help loosen fixings with a bit of direct heat that depends on access and flamable/meltable items nearby! Try taking the bike for a run to get some heat into it and then try loosening the bolts ... be very careful just going for the 'more power' breaker bar/long extension socket as you might shear the bolt head clean off.

A sharp tap with a hammer to the side of the fixing might also shock it so it can be loosened but you would have to look at what components etc were nearby (not sure how advisable this is next to an engine to be honest!)

Yeah WD40 would be the obvious first thing to try lol, alas I have not tried that yet :eusa_doh:, so will be giving it a good covering tonight and then maybe try again on Friday night.

Cheers.

One little trick on rusted/seized bolts is to turn it right a touch, ie tighten it. This sometimes cracks the crap and loosens it up.

Other than that, I'm a big fan of hammers. Use a screwdriver or something to reach the ones in awkward places.

What is a 'wrench', though? Is that like a spanner? :D

What is a 'wrench', though? Is that like a spanner? :D

Its the misses in doors lol, hope she doesn't see this or I'm a dead man walking lol.

Its the misses in doors lol, hope she doesn't see this or I'm a dead man walking lol.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online