Anti-Rattle Front Brake

Bigmatt
This post is 4384 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I have a '99 Yam XJ600N twin disc model. Having a rattle which sounded like a loose brake pad coming from the front caliper i took it off to find that an anti-rattle shim is missing. Brakes still function fine but it needs sorting out.

Having looked round the web i can't find anyone selling them. Is it worth contacting a dealer? (dont want to pay through the nose though).

Help please.

Matt

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i have a simeral rattle with my XJ600n, single disc model . . you can only contact a dealer and see what they say. If not, doo a quick google for bike breakers, theres usually a good few XJ6n's getting broken for spares.

Matthew

Hi

It might be worth finding an engineering suppler and purchasing a small amount of shim steel, at the thickness you will need it should be relatively easy to cut into shape, I would take a look in a few bike shops and survey the bikes there to get an idea of the thickness used, you can some times see the shim plate on the back of the brake pad, once you know that you could make a cardboard template and transfer it to the steel,

I made a shim this way to space the rear sprocket against the drive hub circlip.

i have very rattly brakes, leave them alone , that way you know they are free.

i have heard some people use a piece of cardboard to shim them.

I would be more worried if they still rattle while your slowing down.

I'm with kev on this the brakes on my old suzuki sounded like a washing machine falling down some concrete stairs. With the rotor noise too. Never had a problem.

Fellow who ownes it now fixed the rattling (against my advice) and has replaced the disks and pads since due to siezure.

after seeing this post this morning, i went and checked my brakes and according to front brake brakedown in the haynes manual, im missing the "Pad Springs" but the diagram doesnt have shims unitll i look at the breakdown of the rear brake . . how would i get these springs? yamaha dealer ?