Hello, which exhaust to buy for xv535???

Kickboxa
This post is 4410 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello, I'm new on here (obviously!!) I came across this site whilst trawling the web as I'm in need of replacing the exhaust on my xv535 and cannot find any reviews or much info on exhausts to buy. I've come across maybe 4 models but there isn't any indication even on if they're road legal! Any help or ideas would be welcome from anyone who has experienced having to buy an exhaust etc. I want something to remain smart looking and not discolour but also sound good without being ridiculously loud it won't pass the MOT.

Cheers!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Slash cuts look good they are loud which is a good thing most haven't got baffles but you can fit them easily. Cobra is a good make to star there not cheap. Check out eBay uk some on there now for sale. I have slash cuts on my 1100 own baffles put in passes mot ok. :)

Thanks! Yes I have been looking on eBay which is where I have found most of them!! I considered 2nd hand but to be honest don't want someone's tatty looking thing on my bike as most of them look "well used". I have the originals on and they are in mint condition, no scrapes, rust or anything but the collector box has gone :-(.

I'm expecting to spend round the £300 to £400 region. After all she is my baby lol!

How easy is it to put baffles in then? I can do some bits and pieces even tho I'm a girl lol! I also have to take into consideration the fact I've just moved the indicators to the number plate so the saddlebags I bought (they were supposed to fit without relocation!)fit so if I get an upwards pointing exhaust it will still allow the bags on when I need them (long weekend always etc).

Any exhaust that has not for road use on them are not road legal, all the rest are fine and is mainly down to the MOTers descresion, you could always fine a bloke who will custom make you a set if you ask about or just go the e-bay route like i did (but i chopped mine lol)

Cobra for 535, I just put virago exhausts in the search they came nearly top of the list for a 535. Can't send a link phones not that good. My baffles my husband made from steel tubing and just screwed them in from under the exhaust like normal baffles are fixed.

Most pipes sold as aftermarket additions, particularly for the virago 535, are "road legal", and those rare few that aren't can be made legal with some simple additions such as baffles, straight through silencers, DB killers etc. But like I say, they are the rare exceptions.

As for MOT, find your nearest custom motorcycle shop and ask them if they know an MOT tester in your area who is sympathetic to loud custom exhausts. I did exactly that and got mine through just fine. But keep in mind that while an MOT tester may declare your pipes okay for the road, the police might have a completely different idea, as they use a totally different and seperate set of laws to the MOT!

I've heard stories of bikers being stopped on their way back from passing their MOT test and getting done for loud pipes.

But that's just the exception I think.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online