Who has got a XJ6 ? What do you think of it ?

monkeyjim
This post is 1264 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a September 2009 XJ6 N in Cloudy White.

I bought it new and it is my first big bike .

Used daily for work and it has now clocked up 23,000 miles .

Brilliant bike for newbies and commuting , extremely reliable .

I am wondering what sort of mileage and thoughts , problems other XJ6 owners have or had ?

Brief history of mine as follows :

1x service at main dealer ?( first service) the rest by me ( qualified technician) using genuine parts.

2x sets or the original equipment Battlax BT021 tyres , each set covered just over 10,000 miles before replacement .

Found one side of the front tyre wore a lot faster than the other , common BT021 problem.

1x set of Avons now fitted . I think they are better.

2x brake lever switches fitted by dealer under warranty .

1x brake lever switch supplied under warranty , I am going to pick it up today and fit myself . Also buying a spare .

Replaced chain and sprocket at approximately 19,000 miles .

Brake fluid change .

Still on the original brake pads .

Extras : Acerbis hand guards in white , help keep the wet off your gloves but do bugger all to reduce the cold air on hands in winter.

They do suit the XJ6 .

Rear hugger .

Stainless steel caliper carrier bolts and caliper bleed nipples from Probolt.

I used ACF50 to coat the bike initially , it does work but gets expensive .

I just use spray white grease now , much cheaper and readily available in the motor trade.

Gave it is big end of winter clean up during the week and all is looking good .

Faults : Other than the crappy brake switches nothing has failed .

Niggles : Occasionally I cannot turn the ignition key .

Gearchange can be notchy and it can sometimes go into 1st with quite a jolt . Road testers noted notchy change at launch .

When started from hot the starter can sometimes hang on for a extra second, making a noise . It has done this from new .

With 23,000 on it I am not at all worried , if it was going to pack up sure it would have by now . Used originals are cheap on ebay .

Wanted : I would like a genuine fly screen at a sensible cost .

If it is cheap enough to factor in cost of painting white a screen any colour will do.

Would be interested to hear from other owners about the XJ6 .......

David.

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I think you are upper end of mileages so far for the XJ6, ihave done 18000, but this on 2 of them!

agree with your comments about niggles, the key/ignition stiffness affects a few yam models, also the gearchange and the starter's slow disengagement.

As for the flyscreen, i bet you could get a cloudy white genuine for quite cheap (dealers will probably have NOS that they would rather sell, than continue to gather dust).

here is my old white un:

PIC_0011.jpg

Hey where have you been hiding?

Don't recall you on the boards for a while thats all. No show at the Squires do either. Thought you didn't love us anymore.

Don't recall you on the boards for a while thats all. No show at the Squires do either. Thought you didn't love us anymore.

I couldn't make Squire's (skinted out from holiday and building a garage), I do come on here most days, but i've never been a prolific poster.

I still loves ya......

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an 18th month old XJ6 Diversion with 4200 miles on the clock. I was a bit suspicious that it had such a low mileage but it all seemed genuine so I went for it. Obviously, the potential power and acceleration is a big step up after riding for 3 years on a 125.

Overall I am very happy with the purchase of the XJ6. The idea was (is) to keep the 125 for ultra-low cost daily commute into London, a 30 mile round trip. The 125s insurance is paid for in one week riding at around 90 miles to the gallon. I wanted a 4 cylinder 600 for longer journeys (100 mile plus).

My reactions may be about the switch from a 125 to a 600, rather than anything XJ6 specific. I find the XJ6 very stable on the road. I too sometimes find the key does not turn in the ignition. First gear can be found with a big "clonk" sound. The riding position I find is very comfortable, I am 5 foot 10 inches tall with a relatively short inside leg measurement. The XJ6 is no more difficult to wheel around than the 125. The bike has plenty of acceleration and top speed for me - much more than I have the nerve to handle. I don't like the high-speed (80mph for me !) wind buffeting - which again I think one would get with any bike. I have bought an extended "flip screen" which has yet to be delivered. I will post some pictures of the fitting process and comment whether the screen feels effective at reducing wind buffeting.

I had hired a Honda CBF600 in Northern Spain for 5 days light touring. The Honda's engine was smooth and powerful but I felt pushed forward against the tank and after a few hours had squashed nuts and sore shoulders. I much prefer the upright seating position of the XJ6 Diversion.

I have added a Givi 40-odd litre top rack and box - which was a real fiddle to fit under the plastic at the back but seems really secure, being bolted onto the frame, and can swallow a helmet plus other stuff - the claim is the box has a 2 helmet capacity. I also bought a Givi T275 frame plus sling-over soft panniers for the back, the idea being I wanted the carrying capacity of the panniers for touring but the ability to take off the panniers and store them in a small space when not required. I am less impressed with the pannier rack as it partially obscures the rear indicators - but I will post separately on that. Maybe there is a standard fix for that. Thinking back I probably would probably have ended up with a better result if I had bought the bike with custom luggage fitted.

Regards

Clive

• 3 weeks later...

I don't like the high-speed (80mph for me !) wind buffeting - which again I think one would get with any bike. I have bought an extended "flip screen" which has yet to be delivered. I will post some pictures of the fitting process and comment whether the screen feels effective at reducing wind buffeting.

cliverlong, did you ever get the screen fitted? I am noticing the same buffeting and looking at screens so interested in your results!

Cynic "

I still loves ya......

Would you lads like a dating section added to the site " :wub: & Bring a bigger tent to squires next time,,,, :babyha:

Would you lads like a dating section added to the site " :wub: & Bring a bigger tent to squires next time,,,, :babyha:

You're just jealous John :secret:

• 3 weeks later...

I've just brought my XJ6N on the saturday just gone (5th May) and so far loving it. I do think I'm going to buy a fly screen just to help with the long distance riding. And a top box for the Mrs to lean on. Other than that - so far perfect first bike.

I bought the Ermax screen. Going to fit this afternoon then taking a trip between Barnet and north Kent tomorrow - so should have a good idea if it has improved buffetting at the end of tomorrow.

2012-05-11%2014.01.28.jpg

Photo comparing Ermax and original Yamaha XJ6 Diversion screen.

The new screen was an exact fit, no screw holes out of place. The screen is fixed using 6 nylon/plastic screws and the whole process to change the screens took 5 minutes.

Obviously I have to look through the screen for "up close" objects, which is why I bought the clear rather than tinted screen. It doesn't look completely out of place on the XJ6. Try out tomorrow with some motorway riding.

Clive

OK. I rode about 40 miles on the M2 and about the same on the (slow) North Circular Road.

At slow speeds there is a slight buzz fropm the screen - which might be fixed with some self-adhesive foam frame sealant where the screen is screwed to the fairing.

At higher speeds I believe there was a reduction of wind buffetting. I would have had to have an identical bike with the standard screen to compare the two. I am fairly sure, and I have read this before about such "flip" screens, the wind was being redirected to the top of my shoulders and my helmet. I noticed that at 60 mph the vizor of the helmet was pressed shut which didn't happen when the standard screen was fitted, indicating the increased air flow over the helmet (well that air had to go somewhere). I am pretty certain there was an increase in wind noise - which makes sense. This all seems negative. However, at speeds between 70mph and 75mph I definitely felt more "secure" on the bike and as a result I don't think I was gripping the hand grips so tightly and I was less tired after 90 minutes on the bike. I also think the fuel ecomnomy improved by about 5mpg - but that maybe because I was doing a lot less stop-start riding than I have done on the bike to date. I didn't notice the screen restricting my vision of the road or other vehicles.

Overall, a marginal to worthwhile improvement in my general feeling of security and stability at higher speeds. I will wear ear plugs in future not because of the noise from the engine (that's amazingly quiet) but because of the wind noise. Do I regret buying the screen ? Not at all.

What next? Maybe a gel pad for the seat. Having one integrated under the seat cover seems the more attractive but expensive option.

Clive

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your views and replies .

Update on mine , now at 25,000 miles .

Replaced the plugs and air filter , used NGK plugs again but did not buy the genuine air filter this time and went for a k&n instead . Worked out a bit cheaper than the standard one and will not need changing regularly like the genuine one. Get a little more induction noise but its negligible to be honest . No performance differance but I did not expect one , the object of the purchase was to obtain a long life cleanable filter .

I have noticed the fuel pump whines recently , heard mainly when sitting in traffic and not noticeable on the move .

I got my Street Triple out last week and took it on a run , thats done 3000 miles and the brakes are brilliant , just a standard ST but when I got back on the XJ the differance between the 2 was vast . XJ rear brake travel was a lot longer and stopping the XJ needed a lot more effort . I had a look at the front brake pads during lunch at work , caliper came off easily but the outer pads are worn low and will need replacing . Rear pads are not as bad but might as well overhaul the lot . I am expecting to find the pads stuck in the carriers and will pop out the pistons for a clean up too. Might as well change the fluid again .

I was thinking of using EBC pads , any suggestions on which type is best , sintered and non sintered I believe are the options . Plus does anyone know a good brand of brake discs ( not including Brembo ) that they could recommend . Car brake brands I know about but with no experiance of bike discs I dont know the recognised brands for motorcycle brakes. The name Armstrong I have seen. Just thinking out loud about fitting new discs .

Finally , can anyone recommend a supplier of stainless steel bolts to replace the original ones that hold on the plastic panels and to replace the disc bolts or anything else . The guy on ebay who does loads of stainless bolts supposedly for the xj does not do the right ones and Pro Bolt can't help unless I send them samples , not easy when you commute on the bike daily....... you see I let my guard down and let a valetting guy clean the bike , he said he would use a bike friendly wash but what ever he used has taken the top coating off many of the fixings and they are now rusting . I am a bit annoyed as the bike has gone through 3 winters ok , gets a clean and now it looks bloody awful.

I have still not bought any sort of screen for mine .

Cheers , David .

I got a XJ6 for my first big bike too, I think it's a great choice to be honest!

It rides great and I got a good week taste of the full power before getting it restricted (Dealers didn't know it was meant to be) but I think it's got some good power to it, not quite a R6 despite having a older model of it's engine slightly de-tuned - but I've heard the R6 is no where near as comfy on these nice long ride outs anyway :)

All i've changed on my XJ6 so far is a new tinted screen and bright Xenon bulbs, looking into getting the tail tidy and some blinkers soon

Keep us updated on your bike, would love to see some pics!

• 2 weeks later...

I had an XJ6 for a year (just sold it) put 3000 miles on it in the year, was a good bike. Upgrading to an FZ8 now..

I've got 3200 in just over a month lol!

I got a XJ6 for my first big bike too, I think it's a great choice to be honest!

It rides great and I got a good week taste of the full power before getting it restricted (Dealers didn't know it was meant to be) but I think it's got some good power to it, not quite a R6 despite having a older model of it's engine slightly de-tuned - but I've heard the R6 is no where near as comfy on these nice long ride outs anyway :)

All i've changed on my XJ6 so far is a new tinted screen and bright Xenon bulbs, looking into getting the tail tidy and some blinkers soon

Keep us updated on your bike, would love to see some pics!

I got a tail tidy and it makes it look so much nicer.

And as far as I've been told it doesn't take a lot to get some good power out of the xj6 engine.

i bought a lovely black xj6 diversion in may, i rode it to work and back for a few days, clocked up a hundred or so miles and then went on a trip down to plymouth, bearing in mind i was running it in. i decided on A roads only where i could, so i set off from Dartford and made my way to Sevenoaks where i took the A25 to Guildford then over the Hogsback and all the way down to Winchester, i stopped a few times to give the engine a rest. To be honest as i was riding down the road towards Winchester, i was wondering when i was going to see some signs for the A303 so i stopped for fuel and asked the person in the garage, thankfully i was only about another ten miles away. i got onto the 303 and the bike felt lovely and smooth, what i love about this bike is theres no vibration either through the bars, footrests or seat, not like my old fz6. I stopped again at Sparkford services and got something to drink, while i was there i decided to adjust the handlebars as i was starting to get a bit of numbness in my hands, while i hads the seat off and was messing about with my tools i heard a shout from behind me, a bloke with a van and trailer asked if i was ok, "yes cheers mate" i said, (nice to know theres some people like that about). i eventually got down to plymouth at my sisters house and stayed there for a few days, it was lovely sunny weather and drank loads like you do.the ride back was fantastic too. The bike is now run in and ive now done 1500 miles so i can wind the throttle back a bit more and i like the torquey power this bike has, its so smooth all i want to do is ride it. i had my old fz6 for seven years until i swapped it for this one, i can see myself having the xj6 for the same amount of time possibly longer as im so pleased with it. So far ive put a topbox and rack on it, also a fender extender, i might get some crash bungs and a rear hugger, i though about maybe a louder exhaust but then found out how much one costs and changed my mind as it doesnt sound too bad as it is, maybe over time the baffle might naturally get a bit noisier over time with use.

• Like 1