Dogs

Noise
This post is 4398 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Is that a female or a boy? I absolutely love German shepards! yours is gorgeous!

Im still trying to get a "proper" answer from the mother in law about getting a dog as she said to me "i rather you didn't" which really isn't a yes or a no........but she is not replying to my messages which is pissing me off as i do want a dog for all the obvious reasons but the missus doesn't wanna get a dog in case she either kicks us out (which i doubt she will with us having our 10 month old girl) or make us get rid of the dog which we dont wanna do as it will be yet more un-necessary stress for the poor thing.

So im stumped! Like i say we have no tenancy agreement binding us to any contract, we live in the house so are not going to destroy the bladdey place and "IF" the dog happens to brake some thing (very un likely apart from the odd hole in the garden) then we will replace/fix the damage.

what you guys think? lol :eusa_think:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that a female or a boy? I absolutely love German shepards! yours is gorgeous!

That's a girl. Sadly she passed away just over a year ago. But now have the best of both worlds, now have a Labrador and a German Shepard:

DSCN1712.jpg

Im Sorry to hear that man she looks lovely! one of those snuggle down at night type dogs! your new shepherd looks just as nice tho! Labrador is cool too!

I keep looking at your old girl and she is making me want a German Shepherd more and more every time! just need to get both the missus and 'er mother on board too lol

Do it, they're great companions. So is the Labrador, though she prefers living indoors. Shepherds are good guard dogs and usually well behaved. First one was a rescue dog. These 2 we got as puppies

exept a staffi , cos their thick as bricks..

Kev, my Bandit reckons yer talkin bollocks.

And Bindie, no offence mate, but I'd rather teach my cat to bark.

Kev, my Bandit reckons yer talkin bollocks.

And Bindie, no offence mate, but I'd rather teach my cat to bark.

had two staffis for thirteen years both brilliant with people and kids, but thick as fuck, not all of them ,

just the thousands i have come accross. yours is the exeption , unless of coarse,your fibbing and your bandit can't realey speak, and heads up on the fluffy mop? :hah:

looks like one of those perro canis or whatever theyre called does that, beaut of a dog too,see a few in spain.

Let me guess Kev.......its called spike? pmsl! :biglaugha:

I like all dogs but Staffies are not the dog for me to be truthful think they mainly attract chav attention etc also the missus HATE's staff's so i think that is one breed thats a no go but its still sad to see that the majority of dogs in rescue homes are staffies.

I think we are set on a German shepherd just need to get this fucking mother in law to see sense :madflame:

I didn't really understand the words "german shepherd" and "big dog" in the same sentence... ;) Btw here's what was left of the last burglar we had here, in 2007. Hobbit wasn't fully grown by then, now she's around 75 kilos...

2007_06.jpg

A mastiff is really an ideal family dog: Nice to the family, good with other animals if they grow up with them (if they don't they will hunt and kill cats, rabbits and similar), scares the shit out of anybody scouting for a burglary (we've had eastern european gangs here in Norway, and some of my neighbour's houses has been targeted, but never mine, probably because the papillon sleeps so lightly that a mouse farting in the forest makes her bark, and then Hobbit joins in, and you can really hear her size), and they are low maintainance. "No walk today? OK, cool, I'll just get to sleep more." Exept for the shedding periods the fur is no problem. Of course slobbering can be, especially when it's hot or when there's good food involved. My wife gets a bit annoyed by the slingers in the ceiling... And they are so gentle when they're not in "watchdog" mode (which only happens when they need to, so they aren't like a dobermann that goes around half cocked all the time) that my then 80 year old grandfather had no problem taking our mastiff Ninjafor long walks. When it was with him, it didn't even care about cats. With us? Well, that was another story...

She's lovely, but i think she will be far too big for my missus lol she is petrified with proper big dogs sadly. but i think a German Shep is the "ideal" size for both of us, she likes small rat like dogs where as i like a "mans" dog...... so a happy medium i think we shall go for.

How about a Rhodesian Ridgeback?

RhodesianRidgebackPuppiesLeoLucy4Months.jpg

They're a bit shorter than the German, a bit broader and more powerful and have a much bette psyche. Germans haven't really been very good since the 60's. NOw the only good ones are used by the police and the military, the rest have been bred into cowards with a lot less mobility, mainly because they wanted the extreme angles in the rear legs. The cowardness came because too many wanted them because they were cool and mean, but they couldn't handle a strong-willed dog (which the germans originally were). So the breeders bred more "docile" dogs, the problem is that docile has because of the original strong pshyche turned into cowardness. And a fearful dog is not a dog I trust, they can very easily be aggressive. Especially to people who appears scared, so I would not get something like that. Or even a rottweiler, not because they are fearful, but because they are so strong willed that if your missus shows any fear, they will take over. The same goes for anything polar. They are fiercly pack oriented and will try to become the leader if they see any signs of weakness.

The ridgebacks have a very good temperament. They are not at all cowards, and they aren't agressive either, as long as they haven't been messed up by "strong arm" training, which isn't really working on them (or mastiffs, for that matter). Be nice to them, and they are nice to you. Be too nice to a german, and it will challenge you because it's scared that you aren't a good pack leader.

Oh yes, I do speak like I kow a bit about dogs. Almost 30 years with dogs have tought me a bit... ;)

:biglaugha: how in hells name could hobbit hunt anything, you would have to be blind and deaf for that great lump to sneak up on you :rofl:

Well, cats and rabits are great sprinters, but they tire easily. A mastiff kan keep a pretty good pace for a looong time. And of course they do have the advantage that one of their steps is like three for the rabbit and two for the cat. And then there's the element of surprise, of course. If the prey is more surprised than the hunter when they meet accidentally, that can count for much...

there wont be an element of surprise with a six foot tall black brindle elephant lumbering towards you. :biglaugha:

im gonna wet myself here. :biglaugha:

He-he! That was exactly what five cats did when they came out of a barn in rural Norway and stumbled upon the male mastiff owned by the people who had bought the farm (literally, that is, not metaphorically speaking...) and where moving in that day. Two of those five cats were able to leave the barnyard, the three others were carried away in plastic bags by people with "CSI" on their white jumpsuits... :pumpking: The farm had been empty for some time, and there was a plague of mor or less feral cats in the area. Strangely enough the mastiff owners didn't see any more cats, though... :eusa_whistle: That mastiff was the brother of our first mastiff, who didn't have anything against cats because she grew up with cats in the neighbourhood.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online