yamaha sr125 accelerator sticking

This post is 4401 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just bought this bike 1997 model, (I know its not much of a bike, but all I could afford) It's ok so far, apart from the accelerator stays on full sometimes when idle, cant see anything wrong with the cable and the handle itself moves ok.

Also there doesnt seem to be much of a back brake, although the pads should be fine, just had mot.

Having just passed cbt, (at 50!) these two things are making riding difficult ie: having to slowly release the clutch to stop it revving when stopped in traffic and just using the front brake, especially down steep hills is a little hairy..also have had to use front brake whilst setting off from a hill junction (not quite sure how i did that) so try to avoid them...not easy.

Another thing is having to pull out choke to start bike, even when warm (you have to hold it out as well)

The bike vibrates over 40 mph which isnt comfortable..and there seems to be a front wheel wobble at speed..yes high speed at 50mph haha! (although that could just be me not being used to bikes)

Trying to contend with these issues, plus being a new rider and remembering all i was taught, is somewhat mentally exhausting! Hence any help concerning the above, would be gratefully received. :)

Despite all this, I have doggedly gone out every day for two weeks on my own, in all weathers, (whistling old helmet, visor up as cant see anything with it down) into town at rush hour, up onto the moors (that's cold) country roads, hills, bends (bit tricky those bends) slow moving traffic and duel carridge ways, ROUNDABOUTS! (hate them).

Sticking steadfastly to the middle of the road and refusing to be pushed to the side, only once deviating from this rule, as i decided i should try getting to the left hand side whilst taking a right hand bend only to be promptly overtaken by a taxi driver whom seizing his chance, nearly knocked me off as i was just about to regain position...I shall leave that manouvre for quieter roads in future...

Oh and my best experience to date, running out of fuel in the dark half way up a hill, two miles from home! (No fuel guage)

All in all though, think I can pat myself on the back for sticking with it so far, a thousand tales and a few near misses in two weeks! What have I let myself in for?

Oh yes, and anyone in the yorkshire area who are maybe learning and as mad as I am, feel free to get in touch! or maybe a more experienced rider that doesnt mind waiting a couple of hours for me to catch up haha!

Liz

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome betty " that wobble, could be steering head bearings,[ or just need tightened] or wheel bearing, that throttle " is it sticking all the time,? if you keep lowering revs with clutch, it will burn out :shakeno: . you say it just past M.O.T. And thers no rear brake ? same with the wheel bearing :eusa_think: sounds dodgey , start new topic in workshop , and we"l iliminate some things,

hi and welcome, Im a newbie with a 'lovely' SR125 too :spin2:

Also a Tyke but now living in Coventry, warmer but the roads are horrible lol. Ill give you a shout when I am heading up and we can take the old rattlers out hahah :hah:

Good advice here and a friendly bunch