Lean / Tilt Switch/Sensor Faulty?

jonnyrider
This post is 4404 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

I have just had my bike ('08 YBR125) in the garage for a couple of days as it wouldn't start. The electric starter tries to turn the engine but the engine itself doesn't want to know. It's happened a few times and I have been able to start it in the end by sheer determination and various key/throttle/button jiggerypokery. Anyway the other day it wasn't having any of it. The guys at the garage have said they have whittled it down to the Lean Angle Sensor or 'Tilt Switch'. I am not so sure about this - would it even allow the ignition to start trying to turn the engine over if this was faulty? I am hoping its not a faulty ECU...

Essentially they want £60 labour and £75 for the part which I think is expensive. The problem is I have found a part on ebay and can fix it myself but if its not the part itself then I am back to square one. The garage guys also said they'd 'be wary' of ebay parts (I am not so bothered generally) and if the ebay part is 'faulty' as it's been taken off a broken bike then they will have no option but to try a £75 sensor of their own.

I almost want them to get the £75 sensor and prove it doesn't fix the problem!

Has anyone got any experience in these sensors and what the net result of a faulty one would be?

I'd really appreciate it as I want to get back on my bike asap - I have now passed my DAS and need to get rid of the poor old ybr.

Cheers!

Jonny

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Haynes manual is around 15 quid, will pay back 10 fold. Or go clymer, same thing.

Haven't the faintest idea on your problem and a "lean sensor"; if you say so, both of my bikes are from the last millenium and cdi is about as high tec as they get.

Personally i wouldn't let fitters, "they stopped being mechanics long ago" within spitting distance of either of my bikes. Have a go yourself, you want to, you do.

Hi

I have just found on the net an instruction of how to disable the lean angle sensor on a R1, I would assume that your bike has a some what similar sensor set up,

The instruction shows a pendulum device in a small replicable unit similar to a flasher unit.

http://www.yamaha-forum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=480

I would try to disable or by-pass this unit to prove or disprove that the unit is causing the fault,

And many thanks my FJR must have a similar device. It had never crossed my mind before.

I would suggest removing ANY details of, or links to information about disabling motorcycle security systems.

We can't do much about other webshites, but we can help stem the spread of this information on our own.

Basically, armed with that info I can now go out and nick an R1, safe in the knowledge that once I get it back to my shop, I can fiddle it and set it up to sell on.

Without that info, it's one more thing that disuades a thief from nicking the bike.

I would suggest removing ANY details of, or links to information about disabling motorcycle security systems.

We can't do much about other webshites, but we can help stem the spread of this information on our own.

Basically, armed with that info I can now go out and nick an R1, safe in the knowledge that once I get it back to my shop, I can fiddle it and set it up to sell on.

Without that info, it's one more thing that disuades a thief from nicking the bike.

Er, its nothing to do with security it shuts the fueling down if the bike leans over too far, like an accident. I don't see the issue Ttask?

Most modern fuel injected vehicles have these switches, they are often called crash switches or inertia switches, My old rover 214 had one it was located behind the centre console, it was useful as an anti theft switch because it was resettable like a circuit breaker. I did not realise modern motorcycles used lean angle devices to achieve this.

Allthough once the functionality of the switch has been proven/dissproven, I would recommend that it is re-instated as a functioning safety device, If the bike failed to cut off the fuel/engine in a crash the insurers would have a field day with the claim if they found out.

Ah, I see now....

I thought this was the tilt switch on the alarm/immob!! :D

Bloody new-fangled fuel-injecty modern bikey things!

Ah, I see now....

I thought this was the tilt switch on the alarm/immob!! :D

Bloody new-fangled fuel-injecty modern bikey things!

I agree:

Bloody new fangled stuff, I did my apprenticeship on wooden framed Foden trucks, some of this modern stuff is frightening to the bank balance when it gets all screwy,

God help me when my FJR goes tits up.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online