Yamaha SR 125 ~poorly little man

Elffie
This post is 4293 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Sooo the big test was today.

I changed the oil, and found out why I had a leak...too much in I think. I had put a litre in when I got him as couldn't see the level through the little window. Someone advised to drain all the oil and put back in 1 litre as per the manual..I did and no leakage as far as I can see.

OH wanted to go to his friends in Leics so wanted me to tag along and give Burt a good run out. 65 miles round trip might do the job eh ? cheesy.gif

So I agreed, put my AA card in my pocket shock.gif and off we went ...

And arrived safely and in one piece, although I did find out he likes to lean a lot on corners, much more than the CBF I've been learning on...

SO was not expecting him to start when we left to head home. But he did!! clapping.gif ok he did need a little choke but nothing major!

Bless his little soul so I will be treating him to new mirrors and some new footrest rubbers....spoilt beggar !

Happy I have a run around all legal and for the mere price of £120 + Mot + £25 new battery, £12 fuel and £7 oil =£200(ish) bang tidy !

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not too sure what else to do with him tbh

I'm assuming that the carb could probably do with cleaning but I'm hesitant to try

Back breaks still have a squeak but not as bad as before.

The body paint is not brilliant and the engine needs a damn good clean, although someone suggested painting it but I'm not so sure about that.

Would like to replace the indicators as they are grotty, work fine but I think they are just grotty

I don't plan to spend loads on him but I don't intend to run him to the ground and leave him there to rot. Want someone else to have him after me, just as a little run around too

I'm hoping the firing up problem has sorted itself out with that run out. But will have to see.

If everythings now legal and working, just ride him for a few weeks or so and get some miles under your belt, making a longer term wish list as you go. Bear in mind that cash spent on an old bike could be used to buy something more modern and reliable further down the line

Enjoy

I agree with the above, as for the carb issue i would now leave it well alone, giving it a good 65 miles run has most likely worked the crap out of the jets, if you start taking it apart now you may put it back together only to find that there are air leaks or more strange behaviour issues.

for £200 that was a bargain, if you're looking to fix it up even more and dont mind a trip down the RAF Benson (or Cosford after september) i would be happy to shotblast the engine and/or any other bits and repaint them, PJ1 seems to be the best paint to use as its very hardwearing and heat resistant and as for the body work rattle cans do a fairly decent job but arent particularly hard wearing in my experiance

thanks guys. I think that the plan is ride him till I pass my test then pass him on

Don't think he will have much more into him, new mirrors are ordered as I do want some. Other than that I think its a on a need it basis.

Took him on another run yesterday for 50 miles and he seems okay so pretty pleased and he did start up with a little help from the choke in the morning but it wasn't an ordeal

TOP SPEED ~~ :hah:53MPH ~~ Like bloody lightening ! (NOT) :biglaugha:

Thought I'd take him for a blow out today and see how he does at speed.

Hmm lol, well being a new biker I'm not that fussed about speed but he only managed 55 on the road. Seems he wants to go and has a lurch, al be it a smooth lurch.. and powers up and the speed rises, then it seems to die off to 48/50 mph then after a minute will throw another spurt of life at the road.

Any ideas ? Like I said I.m not overly bothered about it, just curious. And being a complete know nothing, is it worth me having a mess with ?

when iot starts to lurch pull the clutch in and immediately hit the killswitch, once you have coasted to a stop take the spark plug out and describe the colour, it should look like a strong cup of hot chocolate or an overcooked cornflake, the symptoms you describe lead me to think it is a fuel mixture problem (too much fuel going into the cylinder will turn the end of the sparkplug black and sooty which is known as a "rich mixture", not enough fuel will turn it white and chalky which is a "lean mixture") a lean mixture can and probably will lead to overheating, engine failure e.t.c

this process is known as a "plug chop", give it a try and let us know what you find :)

Right Foamy, cheers for that.

I did take the spark plug out that was in it when I got it and the end was black and sooty... I'm guessing that there is the problem

It happily tootles around at 30 - 40 lol, fantastic if ye off to draw your pension.. :biglaugha:

Went to Newark yesterday and he hit 60 at one point for 5 minutes, then died back to 50. On route back never made it over 50 ..

never stroked it in my life, given it a kick or two though :P

Think its a 4 ...but then again i dunno.

Looking at haynes manual it says the stroke is 1.92 so Im guessing its 2 ? but it doesn't look like the one in the pics

Here have a look for yourself ...this is him

never stroked it in my life, given it a kick or two though :P

Think its a 4 ...but then again i dunno.

Looking at haynes manual it says the stroke is 1.92 so Im guessing its 2 ? but it doesn't look like the one in the pics

Here have a look for yourself ...this is him

Oy, that bike looks better than youve let on :huh:

Get the Haynes out again, read the descriptions around the front of the book about the bike, its gonna be either 2 or 4 stroke, I havent a clue what the 1.92 is :lol:

Aww bless him he did 60 for a few minutes... :shakeno:

LOL Never, its a bloody good camera is all I'm saying ! Even the OH asked if I had photo shopped the pictures lol

Thanks Dirty lol, My guess was right then... I'm getting a bit more knowledgeable ok ok so I was guessing but I still got it right :P

• 1 month later...

i have the same problem with my 1995 sr125, sometimes having extra power from knowhere and going up to 60mph, but usually it feels restricted and stays around 50mph. The other day I was riding 40 miles away to sell the bike, and it just suddenly stopped firing when I was on some A road. It started after a few minutes, but every half mile or so it would cut out. If I left it to cool it would start up again, but before I found that out I drained the battery and had to bump start it to get a bit of power back in the battery. (possibly some sort of electric item overheating maybe?)

So as well as surges in power now and then, another problem you may face is the engine cutting out while riding. Joy. Hopefully, this won't happen to you though, it's not pleasant pushing your bike for 6 miles to motorbike garage (across Runcorn Bridge too)

and I've just found out, the manual says 20amp fuse is needed on 97-03 sr125's, but mine is a 95 and only has a 15amp fuse in. Does anyone know if earlier sr125's also use 20amp fuse?

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I'm a bit of a newbie too, but learning pretty fast... I have an SR125 (1999) V Reg. It's my first legal 'on-road' bike and running on L's till I can save for my full test. A question I have for Ellfie, How many miles has your SR done? and do you have much/any paperwork history? Since I've had mine I've had to do loads to it. New Chain & Sprockets, New indicators, New front tyre, New front disk and pads (and a calliper strip & clean as I couldn't push the pistons back to get the new pads in), New Clutch cable (I'll come back to that in a bit as I have a question to all about that lol) New speedo cable, New clutch lever, New oil filter and full oil change and many, many hours of love going into removing surface rust and cleaning.

Ok guys and gals, so my clutch cable was nearing the full adjustment, so I thought, I'll by a new one and that should sort that problem out, got new cable and fitted it, now it's only a little better but still had too adjust it to the limit... The clutch, when biting feels pretty good too me and I think it had a new one not so long ago (As the bike has done over 42'500 miles). I looked in my Haynes manual and it says something about adjusting the clutch arm that the cable connects to down near where the front sprocket is. Is this what needs to be done? Plus the screw that it says to remove isn't very well weathered being 13 years old and is rounding off. I don't want to really give it some in case I get it out and can't find a replacement and when it may not be this anyway.... Please help as my adjustment of the cable is on the limit and the biting point is pretty far out on the lever....

Many Thanks,

Jef.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online