Very new to bikes and all

stevo
This post is 4427 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everyone, good to be here! :)

recently started riding a 2002 125 XVS Dragstar for last 2 months, its my 1st ever bike and really enjoying it! and because its im new to bikes i'll have to apologise for all the questions ahead of time!

I think its running well, timing might be out a bit but nothing too much worry there (i think). however the rear brake doesnt seem too effective, just wondered how much, in general, it would cost to replace the rear brake shoes/pads?

Also im from south east london/ croydon area and if people wanna meet up and ride and you dont live miles and miles away then would be good to meet up with a fellow cruiser biker :)

cheers guys

Stevo

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome stevo " if shes running good , leave her be ,,timing rarley moves ,,,

Rear brakes are rarely good. Have a look HERE to see if you need to adjust it. I would guess £50 for supply and fit for new shoes.

Hey everyone, good to be here! :)

recently started riding a 2002 125 XVS Dragstar for last 2 months, its my 1st ever bike and really enjoying it! and because its im new to bikes i'll have to apologise for all the questions ahead of time!

I think its running well, timing might be out a bit but nothing too much worry there (i think). however the rear brake doesnt seem too effective, just wondered how much, in general, it would cost to replace the rear brake shoes/pads?

Also im from south east london/ croydon area and if people wanna meet up and ride and you dont live miles and miles away then would be good to meet up with a fellow cruiser biker :)

cheers guys

Stevo

Dont worry too much about the rear brake, they arent particularly effective. Just make sure that the pointer on the arm doesnt have to travel too far before the brake comes on, as thats an indication of brake shoe wear. Tr y not to fiddle if its running well, service it as per the owners manual

Hi Stevo!!

Welcome to the site, If you need any new bits for the little beast id go to Wemoto.com, very good site and fast delivery (if in stock)

Wotcha!

I'd suggest first opening teh rear drum up and making sure it's well cleaned out. Buildup of brake dust and road crap is usually teh first thing that affects performance.

DIY or be like me and pay someone to do it.

Make friends with your local independant mechanics - Many will let you watch and learn as they do stuff too, especially if you offer a helping hand and bring the beer!

yeah would really like to watch a few people work over a bike to learn from, as i have no idea but now i got a workshop manual i'll take a look.. and if i need new parts i know where to go online now.. lol

great advice guys, thanks

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online