Dropped it....twice!

stonedrose81
This post is 4409 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So after picking up my new (to me) pride and joy I made the school boy error of dropping it whilst turning around in a tight spot at walking pace. Over balanced and cracked right indicator and bent brake lever. Nothing new with that. Most have, or will do the same at some point? Just a word of advice though. When picking up a bike from a right side drop - put the side stand down to avoid chucking it over the other way!

Not a happy man but was toying with the idea of putting back levers on anyway - decision made!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Check bars for straightness / bentness

and that the bars are straight when the bike is going straight

If you have vibes in the bars or front end wobble then you will have to check wheel alignment

Sorry for your troubles dude !

Flamin heck! hard enough picking up the FZR 600 on my tod. Wouldn't fancy lifting a goldwing although apparently there is a technique. Like you say - only pride was hurt and bike still rides fine so still smiling.

Check bars for straightness / bentness

and that the bars are straight when the bike is going straight

If you have vibes in the bars or front end wobble then you will have to check wheel alignment

Sorry for your troubles dude !

Cheers for the advice. Picked her up, picked the indicator cover off the road just before an impatient sod in 4x4 (who didn't get out to help) ran over it. Checked clutch, brake and also as you point out, forks before getting back on my way whilst cursing myself for being a numpty (read much more fowl language). All smiles again within 20 miles!

It always has to be said - "TWAT", ha ha ha!

Now that the formalities are done with - Sorry to hear that, mate. Never a good thing and most of us do it at some point, with varying degrees of repair needed.

I 'dropped' my Drag once, simply because I stopped and actually forgot to put the sidestand down - How fecking stupid did *I* feel!!!

I'd been riding it for several years too, so it wasn't a newbie mistake. Just a slip of the mind.

But hey, you got straight back up, practiced your swearing and got on with getting going again. That's what it's all about!

Good riding to ya, mate!

Every sympathy with you buddy. I dropped a Pan European doing a crawly U turn in the middle of nowhere in Scotland. The bugger was full of fuel as well but had no choice but to go for it as there was nothing as far as the eye could see. Every vain in my neck stuck out for a week but I did it. The old shark fins protectors did their job, not a mark on it anywhere. Never dropped my Wing though, guess someone had eaten their spinach that day to pick that up ;)

How to pick up a motorbike:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online