Greetins Y'all!!

This post is 4400 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Friends call me Whitey!!! Just got an XS850 and Im lookin too fix it up. I figured Id check out some of these motorcycle forums too help if I had any questions or just see if I could make some friends I could visit when its built. Im a stage hand in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and I have a lot of spare time so I thought I would try to restore an old junker I found. I dont know a lot about bikes but I do claim to be pretty handy with a set of tools if you know what Im sayin!! Hope I get to know more of you through out my time here! Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome to the YOC Whitey, nice intro and should be a nice bike when your finished, let's see some photos when you get a chance, always nice to have new blood in the forum. :jossun:

Welcome, dude!!

Good intro - Making friends is what it's all about. Once you have that, the help comes free, along with some seriously fun times :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, Im lovin the feedback so far. Cant wait to get to know more of you!!!! Bikes been stripped down pretty far, only the engine on the frame and the forks and tires still on. Does anyone have an opinion on shaft driven bikes? Best way to clean and restore? Im uber new to bikes and forums, so ANY tips on ANYTHING would be so welcome. Thanks for the hospitality!!!!

Does anyone have an opinion on shaft driven bikes?

Sure... I bloody well LOVE them!!!

Never a fan of chains and messing about. Never had confidence in belt-drives, as I have heard of several snapping. I just don't like the idea.

Given the choice, I'll choose to be shafted every time... and with the British government, it's more a way of life anyway!

For cleaning, I use something called Muc-Off and a couple buckets of *cold* water.

Dry and then (maybe, if I can be arsed) polish the chrome with Autosol.

Protect during winter with ACF-50.

Welcome to the forum!

Everyone loves shaft drives, for some reason! A mate of mine has one on his Intruder 700 chop. Personally I prefer chains, but each to their own.

What you planning to do with the bike? You gonna go custom, bobber, chopper, or restore it back to factory condition?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the product tips Ttaskmaster, Ill look for those here. And I gotta say thats a strong endorsement, for the bike anyway!

Our government doesnt seem much more capable here!

I was planning on going more in the cafe style direction with my bike, lots to learn first though.

How did you do your bobber Ratbob? There were no pics....

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online