chain size

Stedman58
This post is 4407 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, New member here - name is Steve, recently came into possession of 125 virago 2001 - motorcycling experience negligible - mechanical skills very basic but willing to learn, just a quick question if you don't mind ( probably the first of many dumb ones ) .The acceleration of the xv 125 seems a little sluggish so I was thinking of putting a new rear sprocket on with a couple more teeth would this improve it noticeably - I'm not too bothered about the max speed , if so would I need a new chain with how many more links ? cheers in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Try 2 more teeth on the rear

You might have enough space in the adjustment of the chain at the rear wheel,,,, therefor you might not need a new chain,,,, provided the chain is ok in the first place.

By right when changing a chain you should change both sprockets at the same time

Welcome to the YOC

Have you introduced yourself ?????????

Hi all, New member here - name is Steve, recently came into possession of 125 virago 2001 - motorcycling experience negligible - mechanical skills very basic but willing to learn, just a quick question if you don't mind ( probably the first of many dumb ones ) .The acceleration of the xv 125 seems a little sluggish so I was thinking of putting a new rear sprocket on with a couple more teeth would this improve it noticeably - I'm not too bothered about the max speed , if so would I need a new chain with how many more links ? cheers in advance

I think id be inclined to service the bike first, oil/air filters/new plugs/exhaust leaks etc. If no better, then find out what the standard sprocket sizes are and check them against whats on the bike, previous owner/s may have fitted non standard in the past

I think id be inclined to service the bike first, oil/air filters/new plugs/exhaust leaks etc. If no better, then find out what the standard sprocket sizes are and check them against whats on the bike, previous owner/s may have fitted non standard in the past

That is so true and often overlooked

Welcome stedman " you could go 1 down on front, Chain would then need tightened, :jossun:

have changed oil and filter - just a quick question, as I am replacing/cleaning etc different bits I am trying to replace the original philips type bolts with s/s allen bolts but on the oil filter cover the front bolt is a lot longer than the other two does anyone know where I can get an allen bolt that size,cheers. oh yeah and the rear spocket says 47 on it so I'm assuming that its the original sprocket not sure about front one ,I haven't taken the cover off yet - air filter and spark plugs next job so - ?'s will probably be following :) - The bike has only done about 4500 miles - and the people who sold it to me had it from new and they seem genuine so I've no reason to disbelieve them and it does look clean enough for that to be true, so I'm not sure wear and tear will be too bad-anyway like I said I will try the things neversaydie has suggested

I think original sprockets are 13 on the front and 47 on the rear.

Dont get the bolts mixed up when re-fitting. One tip is to sketch the are youre working on a piece of cardboard, then push the screws/fasteners into the cardboard on the sketch, in the location that they fit on the bike.

For your bolt, try yellow pages for a local bolt/fastener supplier

Thanks for advice neversaydie - I'm pretty sure the originals were as you say so maybe a 49 on the rear and a new 13 on the front and a new chain and as 2 wheels says maybe I'll have enough adjustment on the rear wheel not to buy a longer chain eh? but I'll check the front sprocket thats on it before I start messing,cheers Steve

Thanks for advice neversaydie - I'm pretty sure the originals were as you say so maybe a 49 on the rear and a new 13 on the front and a new chain and as 2 wheels says maybe I'll have enough adjustment on the rear wheel not to buy a longer chain eh? but I'll check the front sprocket thats on it before I start messing,cheers Steve

Dont forget to check/adjust the rear brake if you carry out any work on the rear wheel

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online