Yet another insurance question: XJ6 with an 18 yr old rider

Cfisher
This post is 4412 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Sorry about this, as it has probably been answered a million times before.

I am 18, just passed my full test last week.

Have been riding my R125 for about 8 or 9 months now, no claims.

Does anybody know roughly what the insurance would be on a (new or almost new) XJ6-N ABS ?

I have done all the comparison sites, and £1,900 is the cheapest fully comp I can find so far...

I am hoping to get that down a bit when I phone up...

If anyone knows any cheap insurers for younger riders, I would appreciate the advice :)

18 Years old, approaching 1 year no claims.

I will be doing about 9,000 - 10,000 miles a year.

Probably will take pillions...

Kept in a locked garage overnight.

Social, AND commuting.

I am currently a student, but also work part time as an administrator in an office....

FYI, I pay £800 a year fully comp on my R125. Was 17 at the time of getting the insurance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Congrats on passing your test, well done, now wait 30 years and you can have the same insurance as the rest of us, no help really but your young and stupid as far as the insurance companies are concerned so your premium will be half way to the moon for many years to come, don't cry about it we all had the same problem. I'm 60 next b'day (bugger!) and my insurance is £65 for the XJ 750 fully comp. So pay up and moan like we did and soon enough you will be old to. :biglaugha:

• 2 weeks later...

is there any reason why you are wanting to get a new/next to new bike ?

when i was 18 and passed my test i had 2 years ncb, one from a scooter, and another year from my 125 - i picked up a 1997 XJ600n in pretty good nick for £700 my insurance was £340 fully comp - plus as your 18, you need to get your bike restriced, often theres bike advertised selling with restricors on them. . . i would suggest getting a slightly older bike, and waiting a few years till your restrictions done, you have a few years ncb and you are a bit older - then get the bike newer bike . . . thats what im doing :) hope this helps - i might have been a bit late in repyling mind you :P

• 2 weeks later...

When i past my test i kept my dt for 2 years instead of getting a restricted bike, the insurance was cheap being a 125 (around £200 mark) then when the 2 years were up i had the extra 2 years ncb which bought my next bike (650 supermoto) down to around £350. Depends how desperate you are to get on a bigger bike i guess.

Some people will probably think i was mad in keeping the 125 for an extra 2 years but the bike was brilliant, i had loads of fun on it which to me is the point of riding. Cheap to run and tax etc as well.

Im now on an r6 and to be honest i probably ride at roughly the same speeds as i did on the dt.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online