10w40 semi synthetic engine oil

inbed79
This post is 4054 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

On the contrary, its too basic of an engine to benefit from premium oil, only (some) sports bikes need it.

You could chuck any old 10w/40 and it will run just as well, just without the placebo affect.

Just as well?? Hmmmm...

Any engine, no matter how basic, benefits from good lubrication; the better the lube, the easier time the engine has, and the longer it lives. Just ask anyone who reconditions engines after 100,000 miles, they can tell which ones have been using synth and which ones haven't. Just physics mate.

As for the placebo effect, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. The differences before and after are just too damn pronounced and noticeable. And I use a fully synth oil specially formulated for V twins (Silkolene).

The chief advantage of synthetic oil on a basic engine as you call it, is it's lower pour point, i.e. it doesn't have to reach a certain temperature before it's lubricating the engine optimally, it does so from the moment the engine is turned, massively reducing wear and increasing longevity. This is what you pay a bit extra for and not a placebo. Try it sometime, I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised. And it's not as if synthetic oil is massively more expensive anyway...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

use mineral oil on my 535, change oil /oil filter /plugs /air filter / fuel filter every year, bike runs fine, do add fuel additive for over winter and ytop up with "premium" fuel every third tank

• 1 month later...

Just discovered this thread.

My boy just changed the oil on his virago, I gave him a tin of mineral oil from Halfrauds, thinking its an old engine, 1990, that it would run on Mineral hmmmm, got me thinking