YZF600 T/Cat handling

paulyzf600r
This post is 6950 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Does anyone know how I should set my thundercat up for best handling?

It seems abit soft (I know they are soft at the back standard) but it would be nice to hear from anyone who has a good set-up on the thundercat or if anyone has any suggestions. cheers

Oh the back end does'nt feel so confident whats the best thing to do to make it abit better?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

MCN did a feature on suspension set up a couple of weeks ago. Not for your specific bike but, from what I remember reading, it should work on all bikes.

tyres...33f / 36r

rear suspension....bottom dial...4 clicks from fully in.

front suspension....not sure cos its different to what my FZR was :o but i had 3 lines showing on the top dial if thats any use...handled like a dream or was it the dragons i had on it :rolleyes:

If I remember correctly the set up included taking the sag out of the suspension. This is done by lifting the back of the bike (leaving the back wheel on the ground) and measuring from a point on the subframe to the centre of the rear spindle. You then lower the bike down again and re-measure the distance. The difference between the two measurements is adjusted by the spring adjusters on the rear shock. ie If there is a difference of 10mm then you adjust rear shock by turning the ring until there is no sag. You use the same procedure for the front forks. After you have done this then you set your supension as per the manual.

Hope this makes sense.

Ok cool will have a look tomorrow! cheers!

Looking at some new tyres as well to be honest! thinking either the Bridgestone BT-020 or the Bridgestone BT-014.

i have 020's on my 1000 and tbh dont like them as they're a touring tyre and after coming off a set of super stickies, they dont exactly inspire confidence....best bet would would be the 014 ;)

Ok had a look at my rear end (the bike!) today and the back end was really soft as said above. It turns out that the rebound was set at it's softest so I adjusted it to just past the standard making it harder rebound and now it has lots more confidence in it. Haven't touched anything else though. To be honest I need to learn what a bike is actually doing in a corner (I mean suspenion wise) and how much it needs to crouch etc so that I can understand what making it softer or tighter would do to it etc.

Yeah I reckon the BT-014's are the ones I'll go for I have been advised to try wait it out till at least another month for when the better weather comes in as I have a little bit of life on my current tyres so will wait one montht hen change them,

It may be just the way you worded it and you know this already but you don't harden or soften the rebound or compression.

Rebound adjustment, alters the speed that the shock returns to it's uncompressed position. for example if you've hit a bump then the shock compresses, altering the compression dampening will change the speed the shock can compress, after it has become compressed the shock returns to it's uncompressed state and it's the rebound dampening that changes the speed of this, too fast a compression and rebound dampening will make your bike feel like a spring, so hard and if you hit a bump the shock can't absorb the bump or can't return quick enough to keep the bake stable.

Then there's the preload adjustment, this alters the compression of the spring to take up sag, it does partly have an effect on making the rear end feel a bit harder as well, as springs usually have a progressive rate to them, so tightening the preload, you wind down the softer part of the pring meaning the stiffer part of the spring is what get used sooner in the spring movement.

All compicated stuff and completely different setting for rider weight, road condition, riding style blah blah blah !! I'm sure you've heard enought from me now :-)