Loud Cans

daglad
This post is 6964 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, l have just taken my R1 for it's first MOT, it has a micron high level on it which isn't road legal however it is all stamped to keep the dim gits happy, not being sure how l stood with it on for the MOT l asked my dealer if it would pass. To my utter suprise it is now down to the tester to deam if it is too loud or not, and not if it has the correct stamps. Guess what, you can thank harley dickheadson for this little ray of sunshine because they refuse to put euro stamping on any exhaust and choose to write Harley Davidson instead, and being Harley they can do what the hell they like. However, you will still get pulled and be given the chance to share a shower with the Jackson freak

:blink:

PS. My dealer is as deaf as a post!!!!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The MOT rules have been like that for a while now. It must not have 'not for road use' or 'race use only' etc stamped on it. Also even if it doesnt have those stamped on it the MOT tester can if he or she likes do a sound test and there is a certain Db level (think it was 82 or 92 or somthing cant quite remeber off hand). And they can fail it if it comes out over the limit... :/

The MOT rules have been like that for a while now. It must not have 'not for road use' or 'race use only' etc stamped on it. Also even if it doesnt have those stamped on it the MOT tester can if he or she likes do a sound test and there is a certain Db level (think it was 82 or 92 or somthing cant quite remeber off hand). And they can fail it if it comes out over the limit... :/

Exhausts are only checked for condition (rusting / blowing / not fitted correctly) and whether they are BS stamped. It's very rare for a MOT tester to noise test a bike - there are too many variables. Weather conditions can add + /- 3db, testing in an enclosed space can lead to false readings due sound bouncing back from walls etc. Noise testing cannot be done outside if it is raining!

mine has a geet big NOT FOR ROAD USE stamped on it  :P  :P

HELL Yeah! B) ......that's the way they're supposed to be ;)

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES! you know B)

If it does have NOT FOR ROAD USE stamped on it you can get it polished out !! My mates had a few of his done.

i just ask him to pass it cos i'd be back in 15 mins with standard can on, then that would come off once mot sorted :P

I have a Cobra 1 can on my XJR1300 and we have this fancy engraver machine at work so I had it done with

"YAMAHA Road Use

BS AU **********

Looks cheeky but the tester loves it. It also looks professional.

38170798d3f10be4e1a2f592551366c819ea465b74347fb4a302fb7b.jpg

Its not overly loud until you ride it. My tester said it had a nice note to it.

A chap that does MOT's did say to me that, noise is down to the testers discretion.

Like he said "some one could turn up on a bike with a plain 2" pipe which is stamped and expect it to pass"

When it clearly would not.......

I bought it for the cruising and low down grunt when me and Lynne go out together.

Over here the 1200 Bandits are as common as muck. I'm a Yamaha man and the XJR is more individual.

I like the fact with both of us on it, it will do 120 like its on a rail in the road.

The R1's of this world may look nice but are not user friendly with a pillion on.

Word is, that next years model will be watercooled :huh:

The pub behind is the Red Lion at Avebury in Wiltshire. Wednesday night is biker night and you can't move for bikes

HELL Yeah! B) ......that's the way they're supposed to be ;)

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES! you know B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah!!!!! i have a full racing can on my tzr. although it may sound stupid to have a full can but as it was on their when i bought it im not complaining!

• Admin

mine has a geet big NOT FOR ROAD USE stamped on it  :P  :P

So did mine until i polished it off B)

I've got a REMUS thingy on my R1, went through the MOT no problem but then again it is quite unobtrusive. Having just passed my test and being on such a big bike I think I'll be giving the coppers enoug reasons to pull me over without giving them extra ones like me making too much noise. I thought it might be road legal since it is nice and quiet but I can't find a kite mark on it anywhere. Might put the standard can back on it. I'm not a fan of loud cans, reminds me too much of them annoying kids in their boy-racer mobiles with big sounds and no go.

Also take into account gents, it is becoming increasingly common for insurance companys not to pay out after an accident/incident if they can prove that a race can was fitted at the time of the accident/incident. Remember when filling out your insurance renewal the question that says something like ' has the vehicle been modified in any way'.

My insurance documents actually state that my insurance will be void if a non-approved exhaust system is fitted. When i rang them to clarify the situation i was told the exhaust must be BS stamped.

• Admin

Hmm.. just realised that my mot has run out! Need to take it down for one hopefully they wont fail it as i cant be bothered to change the exhaust just for 10 minutes!