R6 v XJ600N

sisu
This post is 4407 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey folks,

Got through my DAS and scratching about for a 'big' bike. Had been looking at a newish XJ6 Divi but have seen a couple of older bikes and thinking it might be a decent idea to bop about on something like those rather than a newer bike until I have more miles under me :icon_wink:

Two bikes that have caught my eye are a 98 XJ600N (10k miles) and a 2003 R6 also with 10k miles.

Questions I have are:

1. I know the feel of the XJ6 (did part of my DAS on slightly newer version) but have never riden R6 ... is the R6 a bit ambitious as a first 'big' bike? From reading about it it is rather more of a sports bike than the sports/tourer XJ but dont know how that translates into use. My main usage for the bike will be to get miles in and get about town/country.

2. Any general opinions on the bikes re their age? The XJ is c£1k with the R6 c£2.5k. The R6 seems well looked after and pretty clean, the XJ rather more 'lived-in'

Got a few years under me (ok more than a few :eusa_whistle: ) so the insurance company are not likely to lay an egg over either bike ...

Comments really appreciated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Personally, I'd go with the XJ - it'll be a lot more comfortable to put the miles in, and they're pretty bullet proof! I've had 2, and never had grief with either.

If you're looking to modify, you'll find very little aftermarket stuff for the XJ, whereas there are loads of options with the R6.

Also, if you're looking for speed, then the R6 is the way to go, as the XJ won't set the world alight with it's performance, but it's very stable, very comfortable and will keep up with, or even outperform, a lot of bikes in the twisty bits, but they will leave you on the straights!

Just confirmed that the R6 is a "YZF" not "FV" so more of a pure sports bike than the all-rounder I think might be more suitable for me (found a good comparison article - link below).

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_1003_yamaha_fz6r_vs_yzf_r6/viewall.html

if its your first "big bike" i wud suggest the XJ, i have one - its comfy, not to sluggish an sounds good. aslo, think of insurance - my cj was £900, a 1997 model in perfect nick, and i got insured on it on my 18th birthday for £320 fully comp . . pretty cheap considering i just passed my test a few weeks before !

I love my R6 to bits, best bike iv owned so far BUT i wouldnt recomend it as a first big bike as it will catch you out if you arnt careful and your insurance will probably be quite high.

Go for the XJ, keep it for a couple of years and then see about getting an R6 if you still want one once you have a couple years experience on a big bike under your belt.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently got an XJ600N as my first big bike. Absolutely love it mate, easy to ride, take care of and more than capable. Loadsa spares out there if you need them too. Go for the XJ! planning on an XJR1300 next if I get a real itch for something bigger!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online