1968 Yamaha YL-1 Oil Question

Dan53
This post is 4416 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Yeehaw! I did what I said (blocked off the petcock port and hooked the carbs up to the two ports that are meant for a cross-tank link) and after a lot of kicking the bike fired up. Then I got to go for my first ever ride on a motorcycle around the back yard! I think I'm in love.

The petcock was the worst of the bunch, I spent hours cleaning it a week ago. I'm embarrassed to say that I sadly am to blame for what happened, though I never saw it coming. I put the threaded union on the top of the petcock and then installed the whole thing onto the tank. As I'm tightening it, and I was barely using what I would even call medium pressure on the wrench, all of the sudden the petcock fell out from under it. When the petcock hit the bottom of the port on the tank when I was tightening the union it just pulled right through its threads and out. I was disgusted. Like I said, I didn't even feel any resistance to have noticed. Oh well, add it to the list of mistakes I won't make again. Luckily the threads on the tank are totally undamaged.

In the mean time, this sucker runs and seems to run good. I think I need to up the idle a bit because it sometimes wants to stall when the RPMs get low, but otherwise there's no problems I'm aware of. I'll shine it up some and post picture soon. Thanks for all the support so far.

Dan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a couple photos of the bike cleaned up, polished a little (hard to tell, I know), and running. Still a couple issues to sort. There's a short in the brake light somewhere, and my dad put a really big sprocket on it years ago to give it some more torque for driving around the trails, which is all he really did with it. I want to put the stock sprocket back on, which we found but we haven't been able to find the chain yet. Overall it's coming together well!

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Well I put some fresh gas in it, without any oil mixed in, and just had it sitting there idling when all of a sudden it died and wouldn't start. I realized the fuse was blown so I replaced it. Started it again and it ran for a split second then died, another blown fuse. I replaced the fuse again and now nothing happens at all. The lights on the speedometer come on in the ignition switch's first position but go out in the second position and nothing works at all. Doesn't blow a fuse but just seems crazy. With the key in the first position everything electrical seems to work that I'm able to test. Any thoughts would be appreciated. There seems to only be one fuse on the whole bike from what I can find. I don't know what would cause the fuse to blow suddenly while the bike was just sitting there running. And why nothing works at all now is really beyond me.

It's one thing after another with this bike but I'm determined to get it 100% working and reliable.

Dan

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online