Minor Oil leak, Dragstar 650 Custom '02

Toutsuite
This post is 4346 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've only done just under 50k on this. Should be good for twice that, at least.

I don't know what caused the seal to go and leak engine blood all down the M4, but that one small part has likely killed the whole bike. I'll be opening it all up on Thursday to see how bad it is. I might get lucky...

Doubt I'll find a whole new engine in good nick, though. Not for this. People tend to either run Drags into the ground, or write them off completely. There's a knackered old one in the US for 400 quid plus shipping...

Time to save for a new ride, methinks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I suppose it depends if you mean "new" new engine, or "used" new engine. But yeah, I guess you're right, worth thinking about a new ("used"?) ride...

...although, as you say, you might get lucky. There may have been enough oily residue on the engine parts to protect from total knackerification.

Ha... lucky you.

Over the weekend I somehow managed to blow out a seal or something somewhere on the right side of the oil sump, around the filter. Bike was fine when I rode off, but during the 90 minute blaze down the motorway, my entire oil capacity pissed right out. The first thing I knew about it was a slight tappetty noise that developed.

I slowed to hear better and suddenly the bike starts clattering like a machine gun, with some *serious* rattley vibration between my feet.

Slow down even further and the bike actually cuts out.

Stop on hard shoulder, phone AA recovery and get it delivered to my mechanic straight away.

Bike is fooked. Running without oil, chances are I need a new engine. At the least I'll need new shells and so on.

Fuck.

You could be lucky here Ttask, your only going to have stress on the pressurised bits. I'm assuming that you keep things all good normally so your gearbox etc will be fine.

As a rule (admittadly a little luck needed) pistons will pick up first and the engine will cut. May not remove the need for some shells but i would pull the motor down and have a look. If it was a neglected wreck running in ancient porridge then yes i'd write it off but if the oil is good?

The oil wasnt there, no matter how good the oil was, once its gone, its only a matter of time before all oil films are removed, and addetive barriers are worn off.

All moving parts in the engine would have felt some stress and gone through a lot of wear, weather its salvagable or not, depends on how long it was running without oil.

Opening it up, replacing any obvious signs of wear, would be a good start, with new, probably thicker oil, it may run ok.

With it cutting out, it probably sounds like the pistons expanded due to excessive heat, overcome the engine power and stopped, it may have seized after that, who knows.

Eitherway as much as I feel for ya ttaskmaster, irreperable damage will have been done.

I hope I'm not sounding obnoxious.... took a look at the previous post, and thought "hold on". I'm sorry if I am, not meaning to at all, I look at most things criticaly, and tell it how it is, and go about trying to fix it.

Sometimes I go overboard, and sound rude, I remind myself of Dr House, off the drama, "House".

Its scary how something so simple as a seal can ruin a whole engine, no one gets off their bike every ten mins to check it over, its very unlucky.

once its gone, its only a matter of time before all oil films are removed, and addetive barriers are worn off.

All moving parts in the engine would have felt some stress and gone through a lot of wear, weather its salvagable or not, depends on how long it was running without oil.

With it cutting out, it probably sounds like the pistons expanded due to excessive heat, overcome the engine power and stopped, it may have seized after that, who knows.

Ah i'm an eternal optimist when it comes to engines after having to run shit on a shoestring for years i can make things last. The engine cutting out would have been the pistons dragging in the bore and the rattle would have been the valve gear. Point is they are the most highly stressed parts, i'll wager they can be replaced for less tham a 2nd hand motor and have a better motor because of it.

how many 2 strokes nip due to oil starvation, they survive the experience normally so long as they get oil quick.

There is a lot more metal wizzing around in a diesel but i wouldn't write the motor off. I get the impression Ttask doesent let his maintainance slip which does more harm.

Oh yea, Tout!, "total knackerisation" pmsl at that.

This was at 80-ish mph initially and the rattle only got bad when I dropped to mid-range revs and when I tried to restart it from standstill.Bike stalling was probably because I slowed right down while still in 5th gear, combined with the aforementioned overcome engine power.

I don't think it's siezed, as the bike still starts up - But we're not really doing that too often, for obvious reasons!

Hopefully I've caught this in time and damage is minimal.

New engine, 2nd-hand, whatever - I just need the bike back in working order.

Chances of finding 650 engine and/or parts are minimal at best, though...

Not that I know what I'm talking about, but it sounds like a reconditioning is needed rather than a new engine. You planning on doing this yourself, or are you going down the route of an authorised Yammy mechanic?

Tappet O ring replaced. However, leak not entirely fixed. Still a small oil spot under the bike when I got back from work. Damn.

Yep, the blown tappet O ring was a more recent (unrelated? coicidental?) fault. The leakage continues under the bike. I crawled under there with a flashlight, it's either the main seal between the engine block and the sump, or a cracked case. The leak is still not much (leaves a 50p sized splotch of oil under the left side of the bike), and the bike runs absolutely fine. When the tappet O-ring went, the leak suddenly became bigger and messier, with the oil splotch about 5-6 inches wide. I just hope it was a coincidence and not related to the original fault, otherwise it's likely to happen again. Anyways, the bike's going back to Yamaha to be looked at again...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online