My new project!! - Honda VFR400 NC30

vic-fzr600
This post is 4406 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks.

As promised, heres the start of my project thread.

I've had the notion for a project for a while, and having always had a soft spot for 400s, I couldnt resist this when i spotted it.

Its a 1992 (according to the logbook) Honda VFR400 NC30.

I believe the bodywork to be a Tyga fairing, either Tyga or K-Conversions seat unit & exhaust.

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

Heres a pic of the new addition & its stablemate, it feels like a feather compared to the VTR!!

IMG_0971.jpg

The bodywork is all pretty sound. Theres a few minor bits needing attention, like where the mirrors were bolted on.

Bike is turning over freely but has stood for a few years so i'm hoping that fresh fuel, clean plugs & maybe degunked carbs will get it fired up.

Fuel tank is a plastic replacement, i intend to get an original replacement again as inside of plastic one seems to have deteriorated.

To-do list is (at present) as follows:-

Source tank & replace current. (tank already found in local breaker)

Fresh filters, fuel, oil & plugs. (filter bought today)

L/H switchgear needs replaces (headlight switch broken off) (has been sourced in local breakers)

Strip everything & give it a dam good clean!

Powder coat / polish any bits i decide need done.

Rear brake disc replaced, check seals in calipers (front brake working well)

Check fork seals / service forks if needed.

Remove those awful rear indicators, fill holes in seat unit.

Get custom tail tidy made & add different rear indicators (new indicators bought today)

Also think i'll design/model a custom top yoke & get it made too. (its handy having mates who own engineering firms!!)

Electrics need attention (headlights & indicators), but i have an autospark friend who'll make short work of that.

Make slightly different bracketry for belly pan

Paint the whole thing in my chosen colours.

Sounds like a lot of work as i type it! But i'm confident that its all reasonably manageable, think it has potential to be a nice wee bike!

Original idea was to go black/white, but since decided i want to try something similar to TT Legends bikes (see below).

tt_legends_cbr_left1.jpg

Honda20TT20Legends20Team.jpg

Sorry for waffling on! I'll try my best to keep you posted as i progress.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

nice one vic, now for the big spend lol, yeah those TT legends look very tasty dont they

they certainly do

nice one vic, now for the big spend lol, yeah those TT legends look very tasty dont they

Thanks! I really like those colours, think they'll suit shape of the bike with the different seat etc.

Can't wait to start breakin it down

now that looks gorgeous and with loads of potential :smash: i had the pleasure of borrowing one of these off a mate who went off to thailand for a month. really didn't want to give it back,really addictive :eusa_drool: i always wondered if the rc 30 lump could be shoe horned into one.....

Update number 1!

Have ordered a pro-bolt screen kit plus a full stainless nut/bolt/washer kit for pretty much the whole bike. Obviously not gonna replace everything but they're always handy to have.

Gonna resist the tear-it-apart temptation, bought some Muc-Off & degreaser, and a vast array of brushes. Gonna scrub as it sits and make/modify the fairing brackets etc where necessary now before I dismantle.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Update time.

Its taken a while but i've now got pretty much all the bits i needed for my project (plus some bits i didnt need :) )

The tank i had sourced was too badly damaged, i wasnt happy with it so I got another one.

I got time on saturday to remove all the plastics and replace the tank.

Fresh tank of fuel & bang - it fired! It was still on the old plugs as it needs a peculiar size plug socket (now ordered) so I'm hoping it'll start and run smoothly on the new plugs.

Disassembly so far has, as expected, uncovered a few gremlins.

Lots of silicone pumped around connections on the voltage regulator & a splattering of exhaust putty on the silencer. But i'll get that sorted.

Updated pics from saturday:-

IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2451.jpg

Interestingly, I checked out the bodywork manufacturers website (K-Conversions) & spotted a used bike they have for sale. Identical to my bike, except their paintwork is in good shape.

441e0d769358140da4e9b5027799b679_image_853x640.jpg

3f5a4268b49a196fea5562a72adeb119_image_480x640.jpg

Scary thing is their price - $4995 !!

Next step is plug change, then oil & filter change.

Finish realigning the fairings then begin the disassembly process.

I'll try my besy to keep this thread updated when i can.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online