Newbi Saying Hi - 1997 Virago XV125

Packers
This post is 2425 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All.

New to to the forum so thought id post up my first thread.

Have just picked up a 1997 Virago XV125 (pictured below) this is my first bike. Its been off the road in storage for around 3 years, hence it has a low milage of 3700miles on the clock. Its in overall good condition and just needs a bit of TLC.

Prior to me collecing the bike im lead to beleive its had new plugs and the fuel swapped out. Ive heard it running and its appears to run fine.

Am hoping to use this to get some experience on it prior to going in for my test.

Im fairly handy with spanners so if it neds any work doing im pretty happy to look at most things.

Chain looks a little rust covered so will look at serving the bike as soon as possible.

Plan to look at Oil & Filter Change, Air filter, Fuel System Flush-out, Brake check + overhaul if req.

Would it be recomeded to get a new chain and sprockets ??.

Feel free to throw in any free advice.

Thanks, Greg.

image_url-40145-1328464223.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Packers and welcome to the YOC, nice little bike you have there and you seem to have the mechanicals all in hand so just hang around a bit and some one will come up with some advcie on the chain and sprocket prob though with only? 3700miles on it I would say that a good clean and some fresh oil it should be ok and if the sprocket is not hooked then that should be ok as well, stay safe and get some miles under your belt and good luck when you take your test. Let us know how you get on. :jossun:

P.S if you get no joy with your question here then try the "WORKSHOP" section and ask again, this area is only really for you to say Hi and tell everyone who you are what you got and where you hail from.

With only 3-4 k on the clock the chain and sprockets should be fine as long as they are not too tight or loose. Got the owners manual? Tells you how to check/adjust the chain. If it were me, id change the oil/oil filter/air filter/spark plugs, and check the brakes work properly and are free from the disk if its been stood for 3 years

Enjoy, looks like a noce clean bike

With only 3-4 k on the clock the chain and sprockets should be fine as long as they are not too tight or loose. Got the owners manual? Tells you how to check/adjust the chain. If it were me, id change the oil/oil filter/air filter/spark plugs, and check the brakes work properly and are free from the disk if its been stood for 3 years

Enjoy, looks like a noce clean bike

Sound advice that, many thanks.

Ive found a Virago 125 Owners Manual in PDF, its got the tollerences listed for quite a lot of stuff on the bike.

Will be keeping an eye out for Haynes Manual too if there about.

Just wondering where you found the owners manual ? I could do with a copy of this if I could get my hands on it. Thanks in advance.

I also have recently bought a virago 125 as my first bike.

If you can get the back wheel in the air via a paddock stand or center stand, run the bike in first gear and CAREFULLY run a wire brush over the chain, then spray with lots of chain lube, you will see if the chain is running smooth, any tight spots will soon show

Can't agree. Don't put your hands or fingers anywhere near a chain moving under power, it's extremely dangerous, more so for people inexperienced in such tasks. If you need to clean the chain take it off to clean, wash it in parrafin, let it dry thoroughly, then either lube it and refit or refit then lube it (but not with it driving)

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I would say put the bike up either on paddock stands or axle stands put the bike in neutral with the ignition off and move the chain by rotating the back wheel this way you can check tyre for signs of damage will be able to see the chain snag if sprockets are worn. Or if you get the chain off you can check for wear and any seized links. Once you have the chain off straighten it out with the link rivets pointing up and down, hold one end and if the chain forms an curve its worn the greater the curve the more worn the chain, I did this once on my first bike and the chain nearly made a circle and the drive sprocket teeth were severely hooked.

Bryan

• 1 year later...

Bit of a thread revival but I finally got the bike an MOT in Feb this year. I had began working on the bike last year but never got it on the road before autumn hit.

It flew through its mot in Feb with no advisories, and I've Benn out and about getting experience most weekends.

I ended up changing & servcing the following items:

Oil & Filter.

Air filter.

Spark plugs.

Chain & sprockets.

New tyres & inner tubes.

New carb rubber & fuel hoses.

Replacement of fuse holders and renewal of some electrical connectors under the seat.

Only thing I've now got to do its front fork oil seals, as one has begun leaking last week :( hoping this is another job I can do my self as I'm pretty practical.

IMAG0531_1.jpg

IMAG0527_1_1.jpg

Hey Greg, thanks for giving us an update. Smart looking bike for its age - good on you!

Good luck with your test whenever you get round to it.

• 4 years later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online