Greeting form the new boy

P4LMS
This post is 4437 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all!

My name is Harry. I am 18 years of age and started riding bikes as soon as I legally could (maybe before) :eusa_shifty:

I'm currently in the process of passing my test and am considering the wonderful R6 once passed. Obviously it will need to be restricted to 33BHP.

Could anyone give any advice on insurance premiums??

Thanks

Harry

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Harry,

18 years old, on an R6?

Pray that you save the lives of a fair few wealthy folks... for it will probably cost an absolute bomb, I'm afraid!

Other than that, if you can afford it, go for it.

I use Carole Nash myself - Lots of good cover and, in my case, one of the cheapest around. They utterly decimated ANYTHING else the other companies quoted, by at least £100 every time.

Hello and welcome to the asylum! :D

If you choose to restrict your bike to 33bhp (and on an R6 thats probably a wise choice) the world is your oyster when it comes to insurance, gocompare will usually bring up the best deal, when i was 18 carol nash were rediculously overpriced, and now im 19 they still are... an R6 as a first bike however may not be the best move, my XJ600 was mental enough and thats a 23 year old 80hp rust-bucket!, plus if/when you throw it down the road think of the cost of replacing those plastics!.

have fun and keep the rubber side down ;)

Hello and thank you for the responses.

Ha, tell me about it!! i just hope it will be cheaper than a car.

I've looked on price comparison websites but they don't have the option to say whether it has been restricted or not and Carol Nash couldn't offer me one online. Ringing up is such a tedious task, but i guess it's inevitable. I am currently on an XR125 (which is great, a smashing ride) i'm just hungry for more!!

I agree, I've contemplated whether an R6 is the best move.... But I can't bring myself to say no, it must be my naivety. I think the only option is to scour the internet looking for a suitable and reasonably priced quote, and if that's not possible its 'bye-bye' to the R6 dream.

Thanks for the relpies :spin2: they will prove useful in my quest for the damned insurance!

@Wild Foamy - Did you use Gocompare when you were 18 then, 'cause they must not like me, ha.

Thanks again

Harry

Try getting some online quotes and then phoning up. Often they will offer different.

Then try playing them off each other - "X offers this, what can you offer?", "Y counter-offered this, can you beat it?", etc...

My Mrs does this (she actually enjoys it, for some crazy reason) and gets her insurance close to £100!

Aha, I wish my girlfriend was like that :P

Thanks for the tip, I shall give it a go!

Many thanks

Harry

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online