Wet Weather Gear

Smitty
This post is 6942 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Safer Sorry have to disagree with on that one.

OK...well these are the facts on it Alan. All of which are verifiable if you do a Google search.

The list is huge....I'll just give you a few.

Kevlar is 5 times stronger than steel on an equal weight basis.

Kevlar is up to five times more cut resistant than leather, which is why it is used in the glass industry.

Kevlar is used for small-diameter, lightweight ropes that hold 22,000 pounds to moor the largest U.S. Navy vessels

Kevlar is used for shrapnel-resistant shielding in jet aircraft engines that will protect passengers in case an explosion occurs.

Kevlar is used for industrial gloves that protect hands against injuries in glass and sheet metal factories.

And finally...Kevlar is the technology of choice for bullet-resistant vests. Police officers have relied on it for more than 25 years. If there's an armed response unit sent out, they don't wrap themselves in material made from a cows ass. Cos that would be silly wouldn't it? :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Leather in the hot?

dam, on our hot days we get from 35-40 degrees, dont happen to everyday though.

under the seat is best
i though these things had no understorage, well some but only enough to fit a tissue.

And with the 2 piece cordura make sure you get one with a removable liner cos then it will double up as a Summer Jacket.
This sounds nice, waterproof and warm!!!

Why 2 pair of gloves and boots?
I was hoping for 1 pair only so i didnt have to judge if it's gonan rain on what to take. Cause if i wake up at my gf's house i still gotta get home rain or shine.

And if you wear Winter gloves and boots in the Summer you're going to sweat your bollocks off.
Makes a good point, if u buy 1 which do u buy. All i have so say is bugger. Ive ben trying to plan how much i need to spend, and that part just got doubled lol.

Modern corduras are lighter, cooler, more weather resistant, and safer than leather.
Then why buy leather? I'd prefer to have something cooler than something hotter. Cause when i'm out i'll be wearing a jacket if it'

s sold, so i'll have it on underneath.

Safer Sorry have to disagree with on that one.
just throws last comment of mine out the window.

Kevlar is...........
I'm guessing thats the stuf cordura's are made out of? Great, not gotta go out the window, get my previous quote and bring it back in.

Do cordura's have protection, like back and elbow in them, cause i know leathers do.

Too much information there Smitty!
ok, while i have been studying IT at uni, and someone with a motorbike helmet walks past, i have been observing what brand they have been bought to see what the most common brand is out there so i can get an edge into whats good. Sure it doesnt make a final desision on whats good or bad but it does show me that Shoie is a popular brand, so they must do something right otherwise no one would buy them. The reason there are so many helmets at uni is because there is free bike parking, so there are like 30-40 bikes there at a tiem so over the day with people comming and going it means quite alot of helmets for me to check. Enough information for you?

Nice helmet, oin that site for £69.00, 166.873 AUD seems cheap??

Is £ a United Kingdom Pound, otherwise my converstion is off.

tk100main.jpg

OK...well these are the facts on it Alan. All of which are verifiable if you do a Google search.

The list is huge....I'll just give you a few.

Kevlar is 5 times stronger than steel on an equal weight basis.

Kevlar is up to five times more cut resistant than leather, which is why it is used in the glass industry.

Kevlar is used for small-diameter, lightweight ropes that hold 22,000 pounds to moor the largest U.S. Navy vessels

Kevlar  is used for shrapnel-resistant shielding in jet aircraft engines that will protect passengers in case an explosion occurs.

Kevlar is used for industrial gloves that protect hands against injuries in glass and sheet metal factories.

And finally...Kevlar is the technology of choice for bullet-resistant vests. Police officers have relied on it for more than 25 years. If there's an armed response unit sent out, they don't wrap themselves in material made from a cows ass. Cos that would be silly wouldn't it?  :)

Very nicely put, BUT!

Who mentioned Kevlar? I thought we were discussing Cordura v Leathers?

CORDURA www.cordura.com

10 x more durable than cotton duck

3 x more durable than standard polyester

2 x more durable than standard nylon

Leathers it is then!

KEVLAR www.dupont.com

Yeah the benefits of Kevlar are plain to see. Except.

Have you considered what the thickness of the Kevlar would have to be to make a suit that offers the protection of leathers in a typical bike crash that involves slidind down the road? Are we to have suits made from the same thickness as a bullet proof vest? And at what cost?

Kevlar is used in the construction of leathers ie Alpinestar S-MX2 as stretch panels for flexibility. Construction of this suit is 98% leather and 2% Kevlar.

I think the chances of me being hit by shrapnel from an exploding jet engine or crashing into a glass or sheet metal factory or being shot at whilst riding my bike are pretty remote so your inclusion of Kevlar into this discussion wasn't relevant.

Besides if there was a material that could be used that is at least comparable to leathers for racing don't you think that the ACU or FIM etal or the major clothing manufacturers would have released it by now?

I should have made myself clearer earlier on....when I say Cordura I mean man made synthetic textiles....like in the old days when we used to call a waxed cotton jacket a Belstaff.

To add further complication, Cordura Hackets can contain Kevlar, and Kevlar jackets can contain Cordura.

I should have made myself clearer earlier on....when I say Cordura I mean man made synthetic textiles....like in the old days when we used to call a waxed cotton jacket a Belstaff.

To add further complication, Cordura Hackets can contain Kevlar, and Kevlar jackets can contain Cordura.

In other words........Cordura & Kevlar are both materials used in various garments used for protection while riding. ;)

But I'd take any info from Pete on this subject, with a grain of salt :unsure: .........

Afterall, this is a guy who goes on rideouts in a CAR! :blink: ......& besides, he's just a Gay H*nda Owner. :lol:

In other words........Cordura & Kevlar are both materials used in various garments used for protection while riding. ;)

But I'd take any info from Pete on this subject, with a grain of salt :unsure: .........

Afterall, this is a guy who goes on rideouts in a CAR! :blink: ......& besides, he's just a Gay H*nda Owner. :lol:

Calm down Scott. It's not as if I trod on your toes at your Line Dancing classes! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

2 piece Cordura,Good quality with removable pads and liner.

With the liner out and the vents open,the jacket is acceptable in summer.

Last year I rode for 7 hrs in the rain and stayed dry.More or less :D

Also a decent rainsuit (Hunting/ Fishing) can be bought reasonably cheap and works fine. Buy large enough to easily fit over your leathers....

Sporting Goods store Farmer's Supply etc.

Gear. Hmmmmmmmmm........

Right, I have one £50 helmet. Plain colour and safety marked and does the job for me. Treat it like a baby and protect the visor. I heard a dealer say about helmets once that you cannot skimp on safety. If the helmets have the same testing stickers on then where's the differance. You pay a lot of money for fancy paint.

One pair of show bought gloves £10. Sometimes my hands get cold. So wot, been riding since 1974, I have got used to it. Like swimming in the sea in winter.

One show bought leather jacket £50. You can't beat leather.

One pair of padded leather trousers bought off ebay. I actually bought 3 pair till I found the ones I liked. I sold the others back at a profit ;)

You cant beat leather, I say again. Been riding all winter, although I avoid the rain now, and they keep the cold out.

One pair of £30 waterproof boots. They look cheap but boy are they comfy.

Some of these biker pub nights look like fashion shows. I am also sure that a lot of them think they are better protected because they wear expensive gear. Stupidly they ride with that idea. :o

I ride a classic RD200 and a RD400 and a XJR1300 for me and the missus.

One pair of £30 waterproof boots. They look cheap but boy are they comfy.

Now this I can relate to!.....bought my rubber boots for $20....definitely well spent money as they're comfy & above all DRY! B)

Being quite new to all this I didn't know that wet weather boots existed so splashed my cash on some nice SIDI vertigo boots. I got caught in some nasty weather and I was doing a 40 mile ride home from work. By the time I got home water had penetrated the toes and my feet were soaking. I've got some good actual wet weather gear though. I got a nice jacket from a local shop called Ace Leathers who make all their own gear (also got a 2 piece leather suit here too). Week later decided I needed some trousers so got a pair of frank thomas thingies from Tinkler's in Norwich. One thing I've noticed is that since the two garments can't be zipped together, the jacket does ride up a bit and my back gets a bit cold. I think I'm gonna get the Frank Thomas jacket too so I can zip em up. Both bits of kit I have now have survived hard rain and some hail and left me lovely and warm. Hope I haven't sent anyone to sleep but I love to waffle.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online