1978 DT 175 MX Electrical problem.

This post is 4464 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I have been restoring the bike for about 6 months now and its nearly all together, i put the new battery in and tried the electrics... the good news is it has a good spark :spin2: the side light works on the second click of the key and the back light works!

But no headlight no ignition light no neutral light and the horn dosn't work.. :eusa_doh: ..I havn't tried to start the bike yet as i want to get the electrics right first.

I will try to put a photo on here soon. If anyone has any advice as to what the problem could be it would be greatly apreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Aha " am currently [ pun] rewiring my DT175... older but diagrams colours will be similar,,, first click on ignition , is enegizin everthing, [ brown,] This brown conects to L/H handle bar switch, second click is park lights .[ Red/blue] ,,,off " position brings in kill engine[ black/white] this black white runs to R/h handlebar kill switch too. open headlight , see if brown wire is disconected, not Dark brown, if it is suspect knackered ignition switch,, get a manual [ wiring diag] and a test light, there a must, :eusa_shifty:

it doesnt have an ignition light Pete, you mean oil light (bulb check)

I had one of these bikes about 30 years ago and i thought i remembered a red ignition light, maybe i am getting it mixed up with another bike.

Thanks for your advice! Am i right in thinking the headlight only works when the engine is running?

Thanks again Pete.

I had one of these bikes about 30 years ago and i thought i remembered a red ignition light, maybe i am getting it mixed up with another bike.

Thanks for your advice! Am i right in thinking the headlight only works when the engine is running?

Thanks again Pete.

The red light is the oil level alarm, but it's on constantly when in neutral...as a bulb check

The headlight only works with the engine running, but the pilot works from battery

Problem solved, i presumed i had made a big mistake when putting the wireing together but no, i should have checked the easy things first.

The oil light bulb was blown and the neutral switch isn't working, Thanks for your advice folks.