Tips on bleeding brakes

Noise
This post is 4451 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys and gals,

Well as the title says im after some tips on brake bleeding, Ive not actually done them before so i done soe reading and asked a mate of mine and there seems to be a few ways of going about this job.

Like:

The normal way of pumping the lever, open close nipple + repeat

Putting a long hose onto the nipple, open the nipple and suck till bubbles stop, close nipple

Do you guys know of any other ways and have any other tips on how to do this job?

Cheers in advance

Noise

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

PS I know not to let the fluid get too low in the master cylinder lol

Hi

Having changed the brake lines on my Divi to braded hoses, I bled my brake from the top pumping the lever to force the fluid to push the air out. Once I had bled the front brake, I left the bike parked up with the bars turned to make the master cylinder the highest point of the front brake system, I then pulled the lever in and wrapped a strap around it to keep the brake on, leaving it like this over night, the next day the last of the air in the brake line had worked its way up into the master cylinder and the lever felt much more firm.

I always do mine from the bottom,fill squeezy bottle with brake fluid. (fit a nipple into the top, of an old brake fluid bottle) connect pipe and squeese. Go from caliper to caliper first, then to the master cyl.

Easy and reliable. Bugger that squeezing the lever malarky, every time you open the nipple you can give a biiiig long squeeze on the bottle.

I'm with Cynic on the 'reverse bleed' method, except I use a syringe from one of those paint tinting kits you get from B&Q. Attach to the bleed nipple, crack it open and pump fluid into the system - you can watch the bubbles come out at the master cylinder end just like opening a bottle of Coke. You'll know when it's all done as the 'fizzing' will stop and you'll just get fluid filling the reservoir. Watch you don't overfill it, and as usual keep an eye open for splashes (I throw an old blanket over everything just in case).

If you're paranoid, you can then tie the lever back overnight just to be sure the last wee hangers-on are out of the system.

I'm with Cynic on the 'reverse bleed' method, except I use a syringe from one of those paint tinting kits you get from B&Q. Attach to the bleed nipple, crack it open and pump fluid into the system - you can watch the bubbles come out at the master cylinder end just like opening a bottle of Coke. You'll know when it's all done as the 'fizzing' will stop and you'll just get fluid filling the reservoir. Watch you don't overfill it, and as usual keep an eye open for splashes (I throw an old blanket over everything just in case).

If you're paranoid, you can then tie the lever back overnight just to be sure the last wee hangers-on are out of the system.

Ok cool this sounds like a good option to go for. So should i drain the old fluid out then pump new fluid in? Sorry if this sounds bladdy dumb lol just that being as its brakes im not really in that frame of mind of fucking this job up lol

Ok cool this sounds like a good option to go for. So should i drain the old fluid out then pump new fluid in? Sorry if this sounds bladdy dumb lol just that being as its brakes im not really in that frame of mind of fucking this job up lol

Nah, you will see the difference in the colour if the flid is even remotely old. Have to admit kiri's suggestion of the syringe is an improvement on my old scottoiler bottle. :biglaugha:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online