xj6 back box

scfmarshall
This post is 4101 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

• 3 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Simon,

I bought a yamaha rear rack with my 2010 XJ6S which was about £100 (that made my eyes water a bit!). The official yamaha top box is another £100, but I saw an Oxford 45 litre top box at the NEC for £30. It came with a universal fitting plate (basically a few bolts and gubbins which means it fits to any rack) and I've been using it for 6 months with no issues.

Try ebay for cheap rear racks - I've seen a genuine Yam one on there for way less than I paid.......

Can't help you about the profile photo!

Good luck,

Scotty.

• 1 month later...

I suppose it all depends what you want really! I brought a 30 ltr Givi topbox from eBay for 30 quid. The racks cost 100. But obviously new Givi boxes go up to £300+

I'm sure there will be some cheaper brands out there if you have a looksie.

when i bought my xj6 diversion i bought a givi rack for it and fitted it, which is fairly easy to do, i already had a topbox which is a Kappa and that went straight on it, theyre universal.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard the car will pass MOT emissions test withought the underfloor cat. Never done it myself though and I've never passed emissions withought a cat on another car even though people said I would.

Check where the DP meets the underfloor cat. It will have either a slip joint or a flange and olive. If flange and olive, get a new olive for about £5 from an exhaust fitter. In my experience, I found that to pull the sections apart you need to get the exhaust rear boxes back wards and there may not be enough slack in the hanger. There is a bracket that can be undone that supports the back box but it's nuts become corroded, also, the dome headed bolt is captive within the bumper support so if it starts to turn with the nut, it's an air saw/grinder job and new nuts + bolts. Support the back boxes, possibly undo the middle support rubber at the end of the underfloor cats (there is room for fore and aft movement but it's easy enough to undo) and undo the 3 (or 2 if olive) circlips and in an ideal world the parts should separate - try some wd40, swearing, hammer, twisting etc to loosen.

I'd strongly advise to get an emissions test done after the work. I've been roadside tested before, fortunately with cat installed. The police were there and the VOSA people. I'm not sure what the rules are here, if they look under the cat and find you've removed cat/s deliberately, there may be a hefty fine to pay.

I've heard the car will pass MOT emissions test withought the underfloor cat. Never done it myself though and I've never passed emissions withought a cat on another car even though people said I would.

Check where the DP meets the underfloor cat. It will have either a slip joint or a flange and olive. If flange and olive, get a new olive for about £5 from an exhaust fitter. In my experience, I found that to pull the sections apart you need to get the exhaust rear boxes back wards and there may not be enough slack in the hanger. There is a bracket that can be undone that supports the back box but it's nuts become corroded, also, the dome headed bolt is captive within the bumper support so if it starts to turn with the nut, it's an air saw/grinder job and new nuts + bolts. Support the back boxes, possibly undo the middle support rubber at the end of the underfloor cats (there is room for fore and aft movement but it's easy enough to undo) and undo the 3 (or 2 if olive) circlips and in an ideal world the parts should separate - try some wd40, swearing, hammer, twisting etc to loosen.

I'd strongly advise to get an emissions test done after the work. I've been roadside tested before, fortunately with cat installed. The police were there and the VOSA people. I'm not sure what the rules are here, if they look under the cat and find you've removed cat/s deliberately, there may be a hefty fine to pay.

The original thread from January is about top-boxes, not car exhausts - not sure what your drinking, but i want some!

• 6 months later...