76 DT 175 Tank does not fit?

Bill13205
This post is 4456 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just became the owner of a really nice 76 DT 175C. I bought it from the second owner, who bought it last year from the original owner's servicing dealer. She has never been restored and is in really good shape for her age. The gas tank is in near perfect condition. However, it does not quite fit the bike. The front mounting ears have what appear to be the correct rubber bumpers and they fit perfectly into the mounting horseshoes on the frame. However, the rear anchor hole does not line up with the rear frame mounted anchor stud. The rear of the tank also does not set correctly on the frame. The tank has the correct Blue with 175 stripe diaganal down both sides of the tank (shared (i think) by both 75 & 76). It also has the locking gas cap. What gives? I checked the registration and vin and it is a 1976 DT 175. Did they change tank designs between 75 & 76? Did the bike shrink after a good washing?

Bill

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Bill

Here is an earlier thread about tank sizes ()

I think the tanks from the 175 and 125 were the same in 1976. the 175 was predominatly white with a red stripe then laterly silver with a large multi blue decal, the 125 was often white with a blue stripe, I do not know what the later decal was on the 125, some times the horse shoe rubber is not positioned right on the frame spar and the tank will not fit properly, so I would have another look at how it is fitting on the frame,

the early tanks were a slightly different shape though but I dont think you have one of those. post some picks of the tank, it will give a better idea of what the problem is.

I'll check the rubber horseshoe this afternoon. If that does not remedy the situation, I'll take & post some photos

Bill

Hi bill " By your discription [ blue /white diagonal] yours is The Usa,1975 model DT175, The tanks changed from 1975/ 1976 ,,, heres the two examples , And the CT3 175 Is different too , 1975 is taller & narrower , esp on the underside , the 76 is more pear shaped , and wide underneath, Trust me i kno from experience s i bought all three types :eusa_doh: , gas caps fit 75 and 76, lock or without 75 is Fs1e type , CT3 " Is hinged type, :zwinky:

1975,,P1000026.jpg

1976.DT125013.jpg

nayruf, I checked the rubber horseshoe under the tank. It appears to be in the correct place. If I take the rubber gromits off the inner tank ears and slide the ears ahead of their mounts, the mounting hole in the back of the tank lines up, but the tank is then about an inch more forward and is not supported in front..

BH, From what I have seen the 1976 US made DT 175C has the blue tank with white stripe. See http://thevintagespo...es/DSC_1048.JPG This is listed as a 1976. This looks identical to mine, except the gas cap is different. Mine was manufactured in 6/76 and the frame Vin & Engin Vin (which match) begin with 559, so that also confirms its a 1976. Per Yamaha, this is a 1976 tank assy http://www.yamaha-mo..._(DT175C_-_1976). This is a 1975 tank assy http://www.yamaha-mo..._(DT175B_-_1975). I have the 1975 gas cap (go figure).

If I could figure out how to post photos here I would post mine.

Any other thoughts? Together, we're all going to be gas tank experts! Thanks for your help. Bill

nayruf, I checked the rubber horseshoe under the tank. It appears to be in the correct place. If I take the rubber gromits off the inner tank ears and slide the ears ahead of their mounts, the mounting hole in the back of the tank lines up, but the tank is then about an inch more forward and is not supported in front..

BH, From what I have seen the 1976 US made DT 175C has the blue tank with white stripe. See http://thevintagespo...es/DSC_1048.JPG This is listed as a 1976. This looks identical to mine, except the gas cap is different. Mine was manufactured in 6/76 and the frame Vin & Engin Vin (which match) begin with 559, so that also confirms its a 1976. Per Yamaha, this is a 1976 tank assy http://www.yamaha-mo..._(DT175C_-_1976). This is a 1975 tank assy http://www.yamaha-mo..._(DT175B_-_1975). I have the 1975 gas cap (go figure).

If I could figure out how to post photos here I would post mine.

Any other thoughts? Together, we're all going to be gas tank experts! Thanks for your help. Bill

Hi

The picture of the blue 175 dt has a tank that looks the same as mine, the picture of the red 175 dt has an earlier tank, I believe both tanks will fit either frame,

I find it hard to figure why your current tank won’t fit, as I assume that it used to fit when it was with the previous owner. I have noticed when fitting my tank it can be difficult to push it on to the inner mushroom mounting grommets and some times the tank can slide into place and locate under the mushroom grommets resulting in the tank not fitting correctly, also when the tank has fuel in it because of the ‘sloshing about’ of the fuel when manhandling it in to place you can often catch the front lip of the tank on the triple clamp, this can make it hard to locate the tank correctly,

Try to post a pic, as at the moment we are all at sea and can only guess what the problem is.

nayruf, At sea? Really. I'm at home in a snowbank. We just got winter here in central NY. Anyhow......Here are some photos. The tank was in this situation when I bought the bike last week. I just talked to the last owner and she said its a replacement tank. I just didnt know it was wrong until I started working on a few days agoDSC00429.jpg. DSC00426.jpg My plan is to go thru it this winter (not a restoration, but a heavy PM) ride it next season and then do a full restoration next winter. Anyhow, the measurement of the frame mounted horseshoes (not the rubber one) to the rear mounting stud appears to be 16.5 inches. The tank ears to the rear mounting hole approx 17.75" There is no way this can fit. I guess my questions is, which tank do I have (75 or 76) and which do I need? As you can see the tank is mint, only a few scuffs.DSC00420.jpg?t=1326555956

Thats deffo a 1975 tank [ tall slim] same as my red picture, are the rubber grommits [ slide into horse shoe "s] too big, And the 76 [ pearshaped tank] fits exactly same mounts , the Ct 3 is shorter, but has a hook at rear fixing point , i see your frame has the dowel for 75/76 tank, so it must fit,, Looking at your last piccy, the tank needs to be forward to the steering stem, :eusa_think:

P1000072.jpg

P1000073.jpg

I wish it were that simple. The tank is as far forward as it can go. What is the dimention from the center line of the bumpers to the center of the rear mounting hole? Mine tank is is 17.75 inches. The bike is only 16.5" so there was a change in the design somewhere. Measure your's see what it is. Thanks Bill

DSC00439.jpgDSC00437.jpgDSC00441.jpg

Hi Bill

I have just been out to my bike, it has the later type tank, (less rounded than the red one pictured) measuring the frame from centre of the front horse shoe to the centre of the rear pillar the distance is 16.5 (16 ½) inches give or take a fraction,

The tank is also 16.5 (16 ½) inches from centre of the front tank mount to the center of the rear mount ;

the rubber bush grommets have a diameter of 1.75 (1-3/4) inches.

When the tank is fitted the distance of the front lip of the tank to the rear of the top bearing cover is 1.625 (1-5/8) inches.

And its bloody cold here too, ‘to cold for the DT’, the FJR has heated grips might give it a run when the sun has come up.

I have just had another look at my bike, the middle rubber on the frame spine in your picture it looks further to the rear of the bike than mine, have you tried to fit the tank with it removed? If you try this it will confirm that the tank is not being restricted from sitting correctly on the bike.

My only other thought is that if it is a replacment tank and the previous owner did not have this tank fitted, where did it come from.Is it a refurbished second hand tank that although is a yamaha tank design, it has been incorrectly sold on as a DT tank for your bike? I agree with Blackhat your tank looks exactly lke the same shape as the red tank pictured,

The middle rubber on the spline does not even touch the tank. Its not an aftermarket tank, it appears to be a take-off. Blackhat, what does your tank measure?

Bill

Hi Bill

Having read your last, I have just gone and had a look at my bike with the tank fitted, My tank rests on the middle rubber mount just forward of the petrol tap and I can just about feel that the tank touches on this mount pretty much all the way over the arch of the inside of the tank.

I have noticed that my harness fits under the joint of the centre spine and the front of the seat/frame loop and then fits over the web that the rear tank pillar is positioned on.

Your harness looks to fit over the the joint of the centre spine and then under the web that the rear tank pillar is positioned on.

I don't have a suitable camera so I can't post a picture,

I wonder if Blackhat could post a picture of how his harness is routed.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online