Dragstar 650 wanting loud pipes

Dragstar_Wycombe
This post is 4480 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi!

I've got a Dragstar 650a 05 Plate and I'm looking to make it sound loud and throaty - so that you can hear us coming a mile away.

But I want to do it as cost effectivly as possilbe and also so that it passes its MOT (ie with no exhasts stamped 'not for road use')

What can you advise?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

if you ask most folk with loud pipes, they will tell you that they have to replace the original pipes for the motti.

as for loud pipes , go all the way and fit streight throughs on it.

we , in bolton had "TURIZMO" motors , they hand built them from scratch, in your case it would simply be a piece of chrome pipe

bent into shape. but they are now shut down.

maybe you could find a local garage who do pipe welding that may oblige you, for a small fee , or a couple of beers.

The easiest and cheapest is to drill some holes in the backplate of each pipe. Start with one each and increase the number until you're happy. This will mess with your mixture balance a touch and will worsen as you put more holes in, so you might want to re-jet.

The best, cheapest method is to cut open the silencers and rip out all the innards.

Ideally, you'll want to re-jet after this so your performance doesn't suffer, but that will cost a few quid extra.

Unless you're extremely skilled with tools, it will likely look shit, though.

However, if you want to just get different pipes, keep the originals in pristine condition and sell them.

New Pipes:

I have a set of the Gemini ones from the Italian seller on eBay, for something like £250. A simple search will find them (cannot send link as I'm at work).

Quality varies a touch, but mine fit quite easily and replaced the whole pipe assembly.

These have removable baffles (undo one bolt on each and out they come), so you can have the nice growly sound of a medium-sized dog... or take them out and be DEAFENINGLY FECKING LOUD as you amble on by!

The 650 will never sound especially deep and menacing, as it is only a 650cc engine... but it can still make some impressive sounds.

Other pipes are available, but are more expensive - you can pay up to £600 for some of them and they are not all complete systems... some are just slip-on silencers, so you'd need most of the original pipework intact.

I have a set of Raasks that i got off of ebay which are basically straight throughs and are stupidly loud! i personally would just buy your self another set of pipes you like and keep your standard ones for the MOT. yes its a pain in the arse changing them over but its only once a year. ;)

You can pick up some good cheap pipes on ebay mate, thats where i got mine from and they where only £100 with £10 p+p.

I love loud pipes and ive riden my bike from Yeovil to Southampton and back again with no dramas. The only thing i dont like about my pipes is that they are too long (right near the back of the rear tyre) so thay are meeting a chop saw to bring them back a wee bit.

As the old saying gose "loud pipes save lives" lol

Loud Pipes don't save lives - Riding so people know you're there, does.

I do actually miss my quiet original pipes, especially when I come home late at night and the only noise is this GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrr of my custom ones, shattering the night and pissing all my neighbours off.

Loud Pipes don't save lives - Riding so people know you're there, does.

I Do agree, i sore that saying on a sticker on Flea bay and it made me chuckle so thought id have a light harted giggle with it in this post.

But i do like a good V twin sound effect, my neighbour next door to me had a 1200 Bandit (sold it now has he couldn't fix a problem with it) and he made a habbit of going out side every day, fire it up, bounce it on the red a few times, shut it down n go back in doors.....?????? so i think its only fair i have loud pipes, start my fooker up and ride to work. lol.

My mate has permenant tinitus from riding his v loud Harley 150mile to Brighton and back every other weekend for about a year - with earplugs. I would avoid riding behing him because it made my head buzz.

I like my 'quiet' original pipes.

I Do agree, i sore that saying on a sticker on Flea bay and it made me chuckle so thought id have a light harted giggle with it in this post.

Along with "Live fast, ride free", "Live to Ride, Ride to Live" and other such cliches, I assume?

i like loud, i like it so much that i get an advisory every year from my mot man.

Call me when you actually get a fail from loud pipes ;)

i used three different, indipendent mot inspectors who i am not related to in any way.

each scribbled the same note. :thumb: and said, quote , it's not blowing so il pass it with an advisory.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online