burnt hole in carb slide

jaspergrumfuttock
This post is 4460 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Now then, here's a problem I am really stuck on.

My 2002 xjr was Ok one day but the next started to run very rough. I checked the plugs and I found that No. 1 plug was black with carbon so I changed the plug but this did not make any difference.

I put a new set of plug caps on. Again no difference. The spark wasn't bad but there was the possibility of a damaged HT lead. However the HT's from the coil are fixed I so couldn't just change them and had to buy a new coil. Hmm, lovely spark but still no difference. OK, strip the carbs and have a look.

HORROR!! No1 carb slide had a big burn hole in the back - the air filter side, not cylinder side, so I removed the cards and stripped the airfilter. Inside the inside of the air filter (on this side) was burned/melted and full of petrol. This was not good, so - carbs stripped right back, float chambers cleaned and checked, main and idle jets cleaned, chokes stripped and cleaned. A new piston, diaphram and needle purchased, petrol tank tap stripped and new kit fitted as this was leaking some petrol when the tank was removed and everything re-assembled.

Flippin' heck, same thing, misfiring (running on 3 cylinders) and plug still carbons badly up on No1. Also now I can see a small intermittant backfire on No 4 carb, but this plug colour is OK. Cylinders 2 and 3 fine, no probs. Soooo - any ideas please??

Thanks in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi buddy

Google translate :eusa_shifty: - thanks for the suggestion and although it's Ok for the odd word or 2 its often nonsensical on sentences, eg "a la rigueur" means "or even, if need be, in a pinch, possibly" but if you translate it becomes "a discipline" Speaking isn't a major problem it's the listening that is difficult -very fast and they miss the ending off all words so "au revoir" ( goodbye) sounds like "avoir" (have/having). We're getting there but "passe compose" has me floundering " je me suis leve" - i me am lift (I got up) hahahaha :eusa_doh:

Again thanks for the advice on the valve. I have just read up on this idea and it seems likely this is the area for concern, but it may be a case of shipping to the UK to get sorted.

Thanks again, Safe riding

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online