dt250mx dodgy 6v horn!!!

DTCHRISK
This post is 4461 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello fellow strokers,

does anyone know if a dodgy 6v horn is an mot failiure,as i can t get it to work properly!

I ve restord the bike with a new battery and new horn,but it just does nt work!!!

I know it could be converted to 12v but this surely isn t the answer? help

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

6v electrics are really sensitive to bad connections - let's face it, when you've only got 6v to start with, any loss is going to be bad. So .... check and clean all the connections (particularly earth points) you can get your hands on - a sheet of fine emery paper and a tub of Vaseline will be your closest companions for a while (maybe I should rephrase that? Naaahhh!) - even then don't expect miracles, 'rudimentary' is a good way of describing these electrics.

Best of luck!

Defo an MOT failure mate

The horn will need to be tested 5 times.

Once on its own and then with each indicator then with lights on and then with stop lights on just to see if theres any interferance.

Its a new thing.

Go on ebay and purchase a battery horn for the MOT there about £8 but it needs to be continuos sounding and not a two tone.

better still fix the one on the bike, therew cant be that much wrong with it.

Are you testing it with the engine running?

Some systems the horn and lights will not work without the engine running.

Where are you in the UK ?

If your down my way (Southampton) I can lend you a battery horn and MOT the bike for you :idea:

just slacken the mounting bolts/nuts a bit, if it works then remove the bolts refit with loctite, leaving a little slack so they work, or rubber mount the horn

Ab merv says " and thers a nut in the centre of horn,, slacken or tighten, to adjust sound,,, or take it off connect it to spade connectors , then cross it over battery , if it works , then its earth or switch,, :eusa_think:

There are two connections to the horn, one is 6v supply, the other is ground

I suggest you eliminate or prove the horn itself...

unplug the horn connections, wire one up direct to battery negative

connect a flying lead to battery positive (dont allow the free end to touch your bike

touch the free end to the other horn contact tab

does it work?

if it does then next prove the wiring

connect the proper negative connection and repeat the flying lead positive wire test

does it work

if yes then the problem is in the supply from the battery, through the horn push to the horn

if no the problem is in the negative return through to chassis and battery negative

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online