600cc first big bike

Columbo
This post is 4424 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As a new biker I'm curious to know what is the usual fuel consumption of the bikes mentioned above.

Aye georgie " they will all do betwwen 40/ 55 mpg , depending on short shifting of gears, keeping revs low,,, wide open Throttle , :eusa_think: ,,,,

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what ever happend to ,innocent until proven guilty,?

I'd like to think Mr Plod or your insurance company would believe you, but alas we all know they won't. They'll say "Where's your certificate?" you'll reply "I don't have one", then they'll say "no certificate, no restriction" Whilst you might be able to eventually prove the bike is restricted it'll be more hassle than pulling out a piece of paper...

my point is, would it not be up to them ,to prove it's over the limit.

or can you be convicted on the assumption it's over.

the police have "instant" access to two rolling roads in the UK to prove a bike is/is not restricted.

my bike was never restricted, i passed my test at 17 and i am now 19... insure your bike with Swinton and keep your nose clean, thats all im sayin'

- Foameh x

best way forward is to watch it being fit,

get your certificate, then erm ? you understanding me or wot?.

I'd like to think Mr Plod or your insurance company would believe you, but alas we all know they won't. They'll say "Where's your certificate?" you'll reply "I don't have one", then they'll say "no certificate, no restriction" Whilst you might be able to eventually prove the bike is restricted it'll be more hassle than pulling out a piece of paper...

They'll say "Where's your certificate?" you'll reply "Here's one I got off ebay/a bloke down the pub", then they'll say "Fair enough, on your way sonny" - aye, right!

From More Crap than News:

Met traffic police officer Paul Mostyn also said a certificate would not be regarded as proof a bike was restricted. “If we believed it was not restricted we would still demand for it to be examined,” he said. “We wouldn’t take that certificate as gospel. The proof is to have a collision investigator examine the vehicle.”

Well, the lad's Bandit 600 managed fine with him and me on it - both 6ft, him about 13½ stone, me "a wee bit more". Mind you, if you have to restrict it to 33bhp you may find the performance 2-up to be less than thrilling.

How do choke/carbs work? Well, a carb mixes air and fuel by use of the Bernoulli effect - fast moving air has low pressure, causing fuel to be sucked up a tube into the airstream as a fine spray. The choke effectively blocks some of the airflow, giving a higher proportion of fuel to air (richer mixture) for initial starting when cold. You did ask!

Finally, so you can cop an idea of scale for the Bandit (I agree with up.yours - they are fantastic machines for not a lot of money), here's the 6ft lad on his B6 the day he collected it:

100_1869Large.jpg

You're welcome

Happy camper or what!!! I haven't seen a grin like that since my kid got his bicycle.

Fair point, but if I had a certificte from my dealer saying it was 33bhp & the police decided to test the bike and it wasn't, then someone would have been sued by me... I also imagine had I been caught going a ton on my bike & said its 33bhp the police would have said b0ll0cks and tested the bike regardless of any certificate. If i was caught doing 35 in a 30 they probably would have accepted a certificate if they gave me a producer? (Of course they could still test the bike on suspicion of it not been restricted but would they bother?). Its interesting to read the MCN article as it was certainly implied to me the certificate was a requirement...

I guess it comes down to whether you want to abide by the law + have your bike restricted to 33bhp which you can do to pretty much any bike (whether you have a certificate or not), or whether you just want to ride any bike regardless of any licence restriction and hope you don't get caught. I imagine from Colombo's post he wants to stay legal, and hence the suggestion he can get any bike he wants so long as he restricts it, but for anyone thinking sod it, just remember if you're caught you'll be facing riding without a licence and insurance, you'll probably have your bike confiscated by the police + good luck getting new insurance.

Going back to the picture, that's the biggest grin I've ever seen!!! I bet my grin was similar when I got my first bike. That Bandit is a lovely bike.

Currently costs £16 per year to tax.

Does it get much more? O.o

401 - 600 cc = £53/yr

Over 600 cc = £74/yr

Do you want a grin like this after your first 30 miles?

100_1870Large.jpg

Bandit 600 - just do it! Whole load of 'em on egay, prices in the £1-2 k bracket.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online