600cc first big bike

Columbo
This post is 4428 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Need help picking a bike so I know what to save for.

What i've looked at so far: (in order of preference)

• Suzuki Bandit 600 / GSX650F
  • Yamaha XJ6
  • Honda CB 600

Just a few ideas.

Please help me to pick a bike that i'll be comfortable on.

6ft 2"

around 16.5 stone

Also, could anyone explain how choke/carbs works?

To be able to afford a 600 i'll be buying an old one so I doubt i'll have Fuel Injection.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The XJ6 is a small bike, mines the pre-diversion and whilst its brilliant for town and short-distance use motorways tend to be a bit uncomfortable due to its small screen and lack of plastic, the later models may be better but having not had one i cant comment

go with the bandit, there's lots to choose from ,parts are easy to find ,and cheep.

and it should suit your short frame and puney weight just fine.

the cbf 600 works fine for me..........as mi winter bike..........the missus liked it as her first bike,

she's now on the ER6f

i'll be back on dragstar early spring

Why not go for the 1200, columus " that"l haul your weight no probs, ^_^ , what sort of money are you spending ?

You could get a 1200 restricted to 33bhp... (I did it to my 1300)

I've got a 2001 600cc Fazer which is a great bike and can recommend them [though am thinking of selling it for a car (hang my head in shame :icon_redface1:)].

I also looked at the Bandit and was told they're bulletproof and will last and last.

Good luck

Graham

I had a Bandit 600 many years ago and liked it.

Im a tall fat git and it took my weight

banditmcn.jpg

Also had a CBR600 and that was even better than the Bandit and I paid next to nothing for it.

100_0423.jpg

see , i told you the bandits the way to go, fuck the rest.

you wont have any trouble two up with luggage on a bandit , trust me.

Really liking the bandit.

Anyone know the maximum weight it will take? Could I put a friend on the back?

Well, the lad's Bandit 600 managed fine with him and me on it - both 6ft, him about 13½ stone, me "a wee bit more". Mind you, if you have to restrict it to 33bhp you may find the performance 2-up to be less than thrilling.

How do choke/carbs work? Well, a carb mixes air and fuel by use of the Bernoulli effect - fast moving air has low pressure, causing fuel to be sucked up a tube into the airstream as a fine spray. The choke effectively blocks some of the airflow, giving a higher proportion of fuel to air (richer mixture) for initial starting when cold. You did ask!

Finally, so you can cop an idea of scale for the Bandit (I agree with up.yours - they are fantastic machines for not a lot of money), here's the 6ft lad on his B6 the day he collected it:

100_1869Large.jpg

You're welcome

Just an update.

Gonna try and get an '05 GSF650n

Hopefully old enough to be cheap, but new enough to have Fuel Injection.

Plus they look sexy with the black engine.

Anyone know how to restrict a Fuel Injected bike?

You need to buy a restricter kit but I believe only the trade can order them? http://www.fiinternational.com/ When the dealer installs the restrictor kit they complete a certificate to say its been restricted.

You need to do what I did and haggle the restriction kit into the deal AND get them to agree to remove it for free when its up [mine agreed to the latter if it was done as part of the service]

You may be able to source a second hand restrictor kit in which case there are installation instructions on the above site, but you won't get a certificate and the onus will be on you to prove its been restricted correctly if questioned.

You need to buy a restricter kit but I believe only the trade can order them? http://www.fiinternational.com/ When the dealer installs the restrictor kit they complete a certificate to say its been restricted.

You need to do what I did and haggle the restriction kit into the deal AND get them to agree to remove it for free when its up [mine agreed to the latter if it was done as part of the service]

You may be able to source a second hand restrictor kit in which case there are installation instructions on the above site, but you won't get a certificate and the onus will be on you to prove its been restricted correctly if questioned.

what ever happend to ,innocent until proven guilty,?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online