xs 850 Triple

Acky
This post is 4468 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey folks,

I'm new here but have been riding and playing with Harleys for over 45 years. I need some advise on an issue.

Buddy of mine just purchased a 1981 XS 850 Triple. It's in rough condition (lots of fuel leaks) so he asked me to get it in shape over the winter. Got fluids changed, new fuel lines, petcock o-rings, battery,etc. Pretty straight forward stuff. Bike now runs and, so far, no more leaks. Will get new tires and other 'fixes" later on.

This machine came new with the Vetter Windjammer fairing and saddlebag setup. Nice combo. For some reason the headlite is not working. Per the old Haynes manual which I have, it shows the headlite shell has a screw on the side to get the sealed beam out which is fairly common. Unfortunately, this bike does not have any screws only a chrome ring over the sealed beam. The manual is silent when it comes to fairing equipped machines as far as the headlite goes.

I'm not sure how to go about removing the sealed beam. Doesn't appear there are any tabs which may release the chrome ring and I would rather not use "force" and possibly bust something. I'm not even sure it's the sealed beam that's the issue. Could be a fuse, short, etc. but figured I start with the beam.

I'd sure appreciate any insights you guys may have on the subject. I'm sure as I delve more into this bike I may have some other questions.

Gotta admit I'm having a ball working on this machine. It's sooooo different from the H-Ds.

Acky

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

why not run a multimeter over the connections to check continuity. A picture would help in diagnosing.

a little hello would be great in new members section too!

Drewpy,

Thanks for the response.

I will be checking continuity but I need to know how to remove the sealed beam from a Vetter Fairing bike. As mentioned, there are no screws on the headlite shell.

Took your advise and posted in the new member section.

Acky

Horizontal adjustment

a. Remove the headlight as follows:

1. Using your thumb, push the

tab at bottom of the headlamp up until

it disengages from the ring.

2. Turn the ring counter-clockwise

to full unlock position and

remove.

3. Remove the headlight from

the nacelle and disconnect the

wiring.

b. Loosen the bolt on the left side

of the nacelle until the nacelle is

just free to slide fore and aft

Many thanks,guys,for all the excellent advise. The Vetter site was a big help. Tomorrow (when the garage warms up a bit), I'll give it a try.

Acky

Welcome Acky , it"l be coolish in Canada the now eh " The Xs 850 wasn"t much more potent than the 750cc , Bhp wise. and that shaft drive will sap most of them horses,

Bit smoother the the H/d tho , good luck,,