YBR 125 Bearings and Bike Life Expectancy

Tris1993
This post is 4494 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys and Girls,

Just a question of curiosity really, and its my first post,

I have had a 2006 YBR125 for the last 18 months and i have put 16,000 of its 20,000 miles on it,

it has a full service history (just to keep the book up to date really) and i always service the bike myself aswell in between actual services, just for peace of mind and to keep it running as good as the day i borght it, all parts needed are replaced as soon as they need to be and i don't put spending the money on it off when it needs to be spent, all in all it is a very well looked after bike, however i ride it in all weathers including last winter, which as many of you remember in the UK it droped to around -19 degree's. coldest i ever rode it in to work was -17, took the following day off after that lol.

this lead's to my question's of how may mile's should i be doing before i replace the wheel bearings? (just had to do the sprocket carrier bearing at around 18,000 mile's) and i think i should be replacing the wheel bearings around now even though they feel fine, (more just for peace of mind again really, would hate for them to lock up at 50mph)

and secondly, what is the life expectancy of these bikes? it doesnt owe me a penny yet as i have hardly had to spend a penny on it other than general maintanance, Chains, sprockets ect...

Thank's for looking and will look forward to here your reply's :)

Cheers Tris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: to the YOC

sprocket bearings will wear fairly quickly, but I've never known a wheel bearing to lock up. I assume you have the owners and workshop manual as they will give the service life for checking them. Basically if they are smooth and no shhing noise then they are fine!

hope that helps

:welcome: to the YOC

sprocket bearings will wear fairly quickly, but I've never known a wheel bearing to lock up. I assume you have the owners and workshop manual as they will give the service life for checking them. Basically if they are smooth and no shhing noise then they are fine!

hope that helps

Yeah, i have both of those manual's, however i can't seem to find where it mention's anything about periodic replacement of the wheel bearings, the carrier bearing lasted 18,000 as i said and just found it to be very vibby when accelorating on the back end and when the problem was found minutes after picking up a spanner or two the bearing was o total wreck and i dont just mean a bit loose, although i appeciate the carrier bearing comes under alot more stress at £4.03 (i think if i remember rightly) per wheel bearing from "wemoto" i think i will go ahead and change them at £16.12 for the whole set lol, as although it has been meticulously looked after it has had a bit off pain from salty roads ect... plus i live in Buxton, Derbyshire, which seems to have its own micro climate, it could be 30 degrees in london or manchester and still be pilling it down with snow up here! thanks for the input, any body know the engine life expectancy before really expensive stuff starts going wrong?? how many miles roughly?? as i said with a full service history :)

I'd be surprised if it says in your owners manual to change wheel bearings after a set period or mileage. Its more normal to state that they are checked 2-3000 miles or so.You dont want to be changing parts unecessarily. The more you knock a bearing in/out/off of its housing/journal, the slightly worse the quality of fit becomes.How about checking them monthly if youre that concerned. Lift the back and front wheels clear of the deck in turn, spin the wheels and listen for any squeeking/grinding/squeeling while keeping a hand on the axle feeling for any knocking/vibration. Put the wheels back on the deck and grab hold of them and try to force them by hand at right angles to travel. Generally speaking, if none of these throw up any concerns, they should be ok

If you do by bearings, buy OEM or look for a reputable name like INA/SKF. There are some cheap crap bearings around these days, dont take any chances with inferior quality

Thanks neversaydie, i have purchased SKF bearing's, im not one for buying rubbish, just thought with the sprocket carrier bearing going, they would probably only be a few thousand miles behind lol, probs just me been over carefull, just don't want it to break down on me, had a piaggio zip 50 and that always used to break down and cost me £££ on parts so im going for the preventative attack now rather than fix it when it breaks kinda thing, but very good advive on how to check the bearings for wear, thanks :)

Sorry to hijack a thread ... But you mentioned you have the workshop manual for your ybr. Might I grab a copy please (I am hoping they are in English as the one I managed to find is Italian :S)

Thanks

HI Tris, just a thought but if your bearings are a worry then it is always possible to regrease them, if water and crud can get in so can fresh grease, this won't save a knackered bearing but it will increase the life of an old bearing, those of us from back in the day who rode BSA TRIUMPH NORTON and such can say with some degree of certainty that you can ride it till it squeals and still get home if you must. But most bearings are hardened steel and they will put up with an awful lot of punishment before you have to replace them, most modern bearings are made to very fine tolerances but there is a lot of slack in there for them to use before they need changing, and has been said earlier if your pulling them in and out on a regular basis the housing will suffer from the stress. So if it don't squeak or squeal and there's no crunchy noises and the amount of wear is not noticeable regrease them and they should last for ages. Hope that gives you some food for thought. :jossun:

P.S. Just so you know my XJ has the same steering head bearings that it came with and they are 30 years old I regrease them every year and they look like new.

Sorry to hijack a thread ... But you mentioned you have the workshop manual for your ybr. Might I grab a copy please (I am hoping they are in English as the one I managed to find is Italian :S)

Thanks

And you are?

Suggest you look at the New Members section - its only polite.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online