1979 XS750 Cafe project

rgatfield
This post is 2966 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

I've started a new project a couple of months back, and im close to finishing but running into a few problems so i thought i'd start sharing my progress to get help, and maybe even help others from this experience. I'll start with a couple of pics to show what it was and where im at.

It was a chopped down, sought of chopper hybrid, thing. really ruff. in massive need of some tlc.

I am making it into a Cafe Racer.

I have so much to learn.

This is when i got it:

photo.jpg

DSC08935.jpg

Here it is with the new fiberglass seat ready for fitting:

photo1.jpg

Just after it was painted last week(frame, tank, steering clamps, seat):

IMG_0289.jpg

Getting motor in and front end on:

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

Now placed tank and seat onto see what it looks like:

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

I got wheels on today, Im having problems with the wheel axel setup, as im not sure whats meant to be in there in the way of spacers... I think it was missing a few parts when i got it. the last guy had no idea.

anyway, i will post again with updates and questions.

Laters.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Does anyone have any info on wiring diagrams, specifically the indicators and dash lights. I'm not sure what the 3 lights mean, i'm guessing the top orange one is the indicator. and the red one is engine warning, but whats the bottom one? I'm having problems with the indicators not working at all.

Does anyone have any info on wiring diagrams, specifically the indicators and dash lights. I'm not sure what the 3 lights mean, i'm guessing the top orange one is the indicator. and the red one is engine warning, but whats the bottom one? I'm having problems with the indicators not working at all.

that'll be a neutral indicator (green?) you need good earths, battery/flasher and poss engine running to get a good indicator. the 750's may be the same as the xs1100

the cream/white oval shaped light under the indicator / oil warning light , is the headlamp warning light.

Cheers,

I cant find the indicator fault. The rear light does not come on with the head lights, the indicators dont work at all, the brake light works, but the engine warning light is on all the time, and it goes off when i pull the brake. It's mixed up somewhere.

I might have to pay some guy, maybe with beers.

I read the Western Australian road rules today, and if it was older than Jan '79 i wouldn't need indicators. Hand signals would do. But it was made in Feb '79.

I am riding it now, it's all good if you forget the electrics for now. It rides well!

Here is the latest photo anyway: 1979 Yamaha XS750 Cafe (my Flickr)

lets see if i can get it here for you

6580668801_f6b4defdc2.jpg

1979 Yamaha XS750 Cafe on Flickr

you'll have to be patient and check continuity on every piece of equipment. Get a multimeter and check power to lamps, then check flasher relay.

thats a beast of a bike you got their , im loving it.

shame about the electrics ,but patience is a vertue where electrics are concerned.

is that the entrance to your digs , or are you out and about.

thats a beast of a bike you got their , im loving it.

shame about the electrics ,but patience is a vertue where electrics are concerned.

is that the entrance to your digs , or are you out and about.

Thanks!

It's the local cemetery, so no. Not my place. I just liked the gates there.

• 1 year later...

Hi Pedro,

Looks like Roy hasn't been on the forum since Nov 2012. sadly not sure how else you could contact him. Nice to still see the bike is in the hands of a YOC owner ;)

• 2 years later...
On 7/23/2013 at 3:58 PM, pedro32 said:

Hey Rory

Do you still look at this site? I have your bike now! I'll send you some pics if you like and show you what I've done

Cheers

Pedro

On 7/23/2013 at 4:11 PM, Noise said:

Hi Pedro,

Looks like Roy hasn't been on the forum since Nov 2012. sadly not sure how else you could contact him. Nice to still see the bike is in the hands of a YOC owner ;)

Hi,

It's been a while since i was on here. Years infact.

Are you still around here?

Probably not, you'll probably see this in another 3 years and we'll start this again... haha.

Worth a shot though, 

Cheers.

Rory. 

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online