1974 Enduro DT 125 Electrical issues

pictwarrior
This post is 4321 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

I have a 74 Enduro DT125 in great shape except that I can't get it to start. When I first got it, it started and ran for a few weeks. After that, I couldn't get it to keep running without holding the throttle open. Then it started to redline without touching the throttle and I'd have to kill it. Now I can't get it to start. I haven't fiddled with anything but the choke.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

(I'm in Everett WA, the bike is in Port Orchard, WA at a friend's place. Any experts nearby?)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

Assuming that nothing daft has happened, ie: air cleaner blocked fuel supply not being starved,

If it has points and a condenser and you are sure that the fuel supply is ok, I would make sure the plug is ok, I would then check the points through the magneto window

(Do the points open when the piston is at the top of the stroke and the timing mark is lined up?)

Then I would remove the magneto and ensure that all was ok.

(Look for any wires shorting out? Do the points need changing or dressing, does the advance mechanism function?),

These checks it would only take about an hour,

You might find that you get more responses if you post a hello in the New Members bit,

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I talked to a guy at a yamaha dealership (customer, not employee) who said to replace the "hall effect distributor". I've never heard of that and I couldn't find it in the parts manual. Is this something real?