Dt MX electrics HELP

Geoclinton
This post is 4453 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

thank you... great minds think alike... just got a 4 position Ignition switch... its winging its way toward us as we write...

i'll get back to you.

thanx for all the help by the way....

XXXseanaXXX

isnt it funny how these, seemingly fairly straightforward little jobs just go on and on and on... finding little things that have gone wrong over the years and have either been bodged or disconnected and forgotten about..

This bike would have such a story to tell. its rather nice really that George wants to get the old dear buzzing again.

lets hope we can acheive this worthy goal.

XXXSeanaXXX

Hi all. well, the ignition arrived, was duley plugged in, the bike was wheeled into the back garden, key on, kill switch on... and......

RINGADING, DINGDINGDINGDING!!!

Key to "Run with Lights" and...... we have lights... Front AND Back!!!

...we have High AND low beam AND we have a working stop light!!!!!

Flick the Kill switch and the engine dies!!! HORRAY!!!

With the key in "Park" we have a Rear light but so far ive not been given a Parking Bulb or fitting for the headlight, so nothing up front...

I assume with this 6Volt system im not going to get Headlights without the engine running... is this right?

Other than that i think she's ready for George to take over the care ov her into her old age...

i hope he treats her well or i'll be seeing her again soon!!!

Well, so this is probably one ov the last posts on this Mamoth, Record Breaking Thread concerning the discovery and renervation ov this dear old Bitza, except maybe a big thank you :hyper: from George to everyone who's contributed to this project.........

Thank you all for the technical details and spec's, without which i definately would have had trouble sorting out the wires..

X :butterfly: XSeanaX :butterfly: X

I assume with this 6Volt system im not going to get Headlights without the engine running... is this right?

yup, absolutely! the 6v battery runs the tail/brake light. pilot light, indicators and horn

The headlight runs off the lighting coil of the magneto.

Of course you could always convert it to a 12v system!

it just so happens theres a 12v conversion topic explaining how to do that to a 175MX here!

Which i think is the most read topic this year!.(in the workshop section)........ not sure who wrote it though :babyha:

Ey Up ladies and gents

Happy newness to all with a big thank you from me for all your great input and joviality.

Wishing all the best for all

NICE ONE SEANNA :babyha:

Whens that camping trip O G ?

Geo :hyper:

thats another one, by the way. post 70!!!

...........and this is yet another one!!!! just another 70 odd to go...

XXX

still, im sure George will be intouch again in no time!!!

He's already lost the tail piece to the exhaust AND had the engine studs come undone!!!

.........................ALL TORQUE AND NO TROUSERS!!! LMFAO!!!!! Bless!

XXXSeanaXXX

Hope everyone had a good Crinbo and New Year.

XXX :butterfly: XXX

And yes Neo, that 12v conversion would be a good idea, thanx... I'll ask George.

X

Yep indeed I did lose the tail pipe in what felt like 100mph winds this morn with all eyes on me as I rode through Brighton first thing with the tailpipe sticking out of my bag trying not to make too much noise but judging by the looks I got I failed and indeed the studs did loosen somewhat during her maiden voyage But for now all is well with her.

So any newbies out there tighten all at all times these bikes love to rattle loose any bolt or nut they can

BLOODY GOOD FUN THOUGH!!!!!

Will post pics soon

Geo

hi all just checking out this thread i have a 1980 dt125mx model 2A6,it is running well but has next to no wiring it has a points and condenser ignition,the flywheel has F1T251 ,the lighting coil is missing,any checking up i have done on this model shows it should be cdi ignition,any ideas what my stator and flywheel are originally of ?any help with this would be appreciated,regards denis

You really should start a new thread for this,

It is a commonly missed fact that the US spec Dt125 MX, the 2A6 or 'E' model WASN'T fitted with cdi ignition and retained the older points system. Haven't the faintest idea why.

Your bike is exactly as it should be, as far as i can tell the lighting coil, in specs at least is the same as the others so a 175mx coil 'should' be fine, and a lot easier to get.

hi thanks for the help ,i have just been reading about converting it to 12v lighting,and i think this is the way im going to go ,my xt500 was converted to 12v bulbs by a previous owner he told me that it had a regulator of a outboard motor fitted the lights are good driving along but when the revs drop so do the lights,i have a cub 90 in pieces so im goin to use the coils from that and the regulator/rectifier,hopefully it will all work out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope it wasnt your name change that crashed this site Airhead!!!

I think wot Seanna was after is whether a combined rectifier/regulator would work on me bike or is just safer to fit the both separate like.?

Cheers