Dt MX electrics HELP

Geoclinton
This post is 4453 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Nope, its somebody with a torch bringing more work......

yes, your quite right, ive got a TY 175 tune-up awaiting the attentions ov my tool box...

oh yes, and theres always my own bikes Nightmare electrical paradoxes going on that needs sorting out!!!

But, the result ov this evenings Wailing and Gnashing ov teeth is..... da, da, da, da, da, da, daaaaa.... WE HAVE A SPARK!! and its strong and healthy too!!!

However... By the looks ov it, we have a strong healthy spark, regardless ov the position ov the key in the ignition AND still no lights, front or back! Im hoping the feeble 6v lights will glimmer into existance when the Mongrel enging finally fires into life.....

Watch this space, i'll trickle some fule into the carb, once ive moved it out the back livingroom and see if she fires up.

thanx all.

XXXX

p.s i forgot to add to the bikes herritage, as previously noted......as well as being a DT 125 LC Gearbox with a 125MX engine that turned into a 175MX, with a 175MX(replacement top end) fitted after the first siezure...and add to that a Honda XL125 front-end and rear Mudguard and an upside-down clutch lever for a brake lever... which was a nice touch i thought...all fitted to a perfectly powder coated frame that didnt have any earthing points or screw holes masked off, so no bolts or screws fit and nothing Earths properly and has a wiring loom that bears scant regard to any ov the original MX electricals still surviving!...the list goes on....

Nitynite. :)

X

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Another day another dollar........

ok babes

Got the engine running...

got the lights workin...

only prob is that they dont stop working when the ignition is switched off!!!!! or the kill switch applied!!!!! I CAN'T TURN IT OFF!!!! Ha!!!

oh well, its progress, ov a sort i spose...

prob got some mis-coloured wires crossed (story ov my life!!!)...

I'll report back later.

nearly there George.

XXX

Thanx OldGit. (nice really!). that might be ov help, i'll look tomorrow evenin. XXX

No probs George, she sounded Schweet... just got to sort the rear/stop light, fit the Regulator and your good to go, I'll check the oil levels and make sure everything is bolted up good and tight, etc.... your bill is waiting. XXXXXX

Oh god the bill!!

Didn't I mention I am actually in Nepal right now great wi fi up here

See yer soon

George

ok, crimbo dinner all eaten so time for an DT 125/175 MX/LC/XL, update...

the wiring loom is fitted with all colour coded wires connected to its partner......and.......

........the engine runs whatever the position ov the ignition...

........the headlight (Hi and Low beam) works when the key is in the "Park" position...

........the rear light, however works only with the ignition in the "Off" position.....

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! FFAN! HELVETTA!

Time for tea i think.

XXX

come on.... stretch ze little grey cells..... what is happening on this bloomin bike!!! my GS850 is gona be easier than this!!!!!!

thoughts please, wrong connections from Generator & Stator plate? wrong CDi? or just wrong person workin on it??!! NOW WE KNOW WHY THE LIGHTS WERE RIPPED OFF IN THE 1ST PLACE!!!!

XXX

sort one thing at a time,

Engine run/stop

with the igniiton key in OFF ...AND...OR the killswitch in OFF, then the black/white should short to chassis or black negative connections

unplug the black/white and the black from the CDI and test at the two female loom bullet connectors

Here is the main switch pinout

DT175MainSwitchPinout.jpg

well the bike runs pretty well but.....

.........HOUSTON....... (beep)........ WE HAVE A PROBLEM........ (beep)

Thanx OldGit (if you dont mind me abbreviating your name)

That switch diagram is fab... BUT... 2 things...

1) The diagram stated has 4 positions... Off, 1,2 & 3. Whereas the Ignition switch i have here has Off, Run and Park.

2) I've tested the Main Ignition switch over and again and all im getting are dodgy readings!!!

In any of its three positions (with a very slight twist of the key, in either direction) the readings go haywire. "Off" has Live either side and so does "Park"

The olny 2 terminals regestering (resistance) a full circuit (in any position) are the Bk/W to the Bk IN THE ON POSITION!

Also to confuse things further i did the Haynes, recommended test for dodgy wires on the Pulsar coil and Charging coil's #1 and #2 and the readings were as follows...

Pulsar Coil--- White/Red wire to Black wire = 10.6 Not 12.4

Charge Coil--- Brown to Black = 304 Not 420

Charge Coil--- Red to Black ... well, theres no Red wire to check!

The wires coming from the Generator/Stator assembly are as follows...

Green/White (turns into plain White after the block connector.)

Brown

Black

White/Red

Yellow

with Light Blue from the Neutral indicator switch

All these other wires when checked to the black wire show 003 Risistance.

What a nightmare!

I'm considering running individual wires from the battery to the headlights (Hi-Lo) and rear lights on their own circuits to just get it running with lights without messing about with crap switches and stuff!!!

if this was a normal bike with a normal battery this could be done very easily but the tiddly 6 volter with its titchy bullet connectons precludes adding wires to the battery terminals!!!

AAAHHHhhhh!

any ideas greatfully received.

XXXXX

Sorry to bust you theory paul but all the mx's had that STUpid switch system regardless of the cdi/mag combo, confuses my MOT man every year.

The only DT with on,off AND park as far as i can see is the 125E with the leccy start, ( a twinshock to boot). The plot thickens.

That switch has red, brown, blue, and green coming from it. Yes?

I'm guessing that switch may have come from the LC? Then it would have Red, black,black/white, brown, blue and blue and red?

I thought you were talking MK1 and MK2 MX, thats what i understood you were saying in post#4 with the 2 cdi's

I thought you were talking MK1 and MK2 MX, thats what i understood you were saying in post#4 with the 2 cdi's

I referred back to post 4 because i suspect seana was checking magneto coils against info from an early haynes book, the one with the orange cover, as we know this book doesnt cover the readings for the mk2

anyway... this is not the problem with the lights so she should fit a proper switch with 4 positions. off, run, run with lights, and park

The link looks out of date (too cheap) but its worth giving them a call

http://yambits.co.uk...tch-p-3183.html

hmmm yes, maybe the matching ignition would sort the lights problem. there seems sumat a bit dodgy going on with it. i took it apart to look for blobby soldering but all seemed good there, its just the "play" either side ov the setting that makes me think its a dodgy unit. George can see if he can get his money back from E(vil)-bay and get a new 4 position unit.

XX

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL :hyper:

Sounds like you lot have been busy.What ignition should I buy any one got a code/part number or summat?

Seanna I am nearly through Iraq me yak is a bit knacked so had to slow the pace down. Will be with yer shortly :jossun:

Cheers

Geo

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online