Si_Co
This post is 4497 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Wotcha everyone. My name is Si and I'm new to the club. I decided to do my CBT at the begining of November having never ridden a motorbike before, to satisfy my mid-life crisis.

That is not as bad as it sounds. Kids have grown up and are going to Uni, leaving me, a single middle-aged bloke, with loads of time on my hands (I do shift work) and working through a bucket list.

I was talked into buying the YBR125 by the bloke in the shop where I bought my helmet and gear from.

I've only done about 300 of the 600 running in miles and have to keep the rev's low, but thats just as well, as I am using the bike to commute the 8 miles to work and back plus the odd weekend fun run. I am still trying to build my confidence on the road, which is hard on these cold, wet, mornings and evenings with some impatient motorist trying to drive up my 'Ah, Sole'. Cornering / Bends, in the wet still makes me crap myself as I am hypersensitive about sliding and falling off. Still can't judge how fast I can do it, so end up going about 5mph. Hill starts are another thing that can get me flustered, especially at lights with loads of cars behind. A mate told me to 'Claim the road' and drive in the middle, otherwise people will try to wiz past and cut you up.

Still, its early days yet, every day in every way etc

Any advice on cornering in the wet, hill starts, clearing wet visors etc would be appreciated.

All the best.

Si

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Si and welcome to the YOC, now that's what I call a proper intro, as your new to biking I should just stick to what you know and if your happy riding nearer the kerb then do that and take your mates advice with a pinch of salt, it's fine when your more proficient but for now make your self as small a target as you can, ok wet visor (I asume you mean foggy from breathing?) well you have to breath but try a cheap method of a potato cut in half and rubbed on the inside of the visor or there are some sprays you can buy that do a similar job others on here will know the best ones, hill starts are at best only advised on when your there to see the problem but find a nice quiet road (that has a hill!) and just practice same as a car but you just need to find the bite point of the clutch and open the throttle SLOWLY until your off and running, cornering in the wet is another of those really difficult things to advise on, how wet is to wet? if you mean puddles then go round them and NOT through them if you mean damp then it's easy the first time it slides out from under you then your going to fast, not really helpful but it's difficult to be precise when your not there and don't know how you drive. I would suggest that if your really worried then get on a traning course run by bikers they will help you gain confidence and make sure you ride within your skill. Other than that have fun it's a thrill every time you ride your bike and not something you should fear. Martin :jossun:

Wicked intro!!

If only all our newbies were like that...

Mid-life crisis, bollocks. I started when I was early 20s. It's cool, it's fun and it's for whoever wants it, regardless of age, gender, race, religion or anything. You go for it, mate!!

Confidence comes from experience, so get out there and ride away. Good that you're getting started during the less clement weather, as you'll learn caution. You're forced to take it easy and build up slowly.

We all still get moments when we're a bit flappy cornering in the wet. Just stay within your comfort zone. It's better to arrive late than not at all.

You'll have plenty of 'moments' so just learn from them and you'll do fine.

Hill starts are all about the right balance of clutch, rear brake and throttle. This means knowing your bike. You know the basics, so it's just practice. I kid you not - This is what I did:

1/. Find a quiet area, preferably of private road or something. Maybe even just your front driveway. Start by just turning the throttle - Feel the point where the freeplay ends and the throttle actually opens. You will develop more sensitivity to this the more you ride. Now start the engine...

2/. Spend some time in 1st gear just applying a touch of throttle and slowly easing the clutch out until you feel it bite and the bike slowly rolls forward. Keep doing it until you know exactly where the biting point is and can find it (more) easily. Just let the bike ease forward a foot or two and pull the clutch in to stop.

3/. Now do the same with the back brake on and when the clutch starts to bite, ease off the brake and let it move forward a touch. Stop as above, but apply the back brake as well.

Then go and find somewhere quiet, with a bit of an uphill incline. Do the same as 3, but apply a touch more throttle. Find steeper hills until you are managing this with a comfortable ease.

Make no mistake - You *will* stall a LOT to begin with. Don't let it worry you. It's just practice. We've all been there and us older riders (ha ha, I'm only 30-something) feel even more embarrassed by it. But eventually you'll just wake up one morning, hop on and blast away like the rest of us!

Oh yeah - Welcome to the forum!

Hi and welcome to the forum. Loads of middle aged and old blokes on here so you are in good(ish) company.

L plates are like a red rag to a lot of drivers so get rid of them as legally quickly as you can.

Confidence comes with experience and riding all year round. I do have to say that your timing to start riding isn't the best as winter is here but it will hold you in good stead. There is only 20 days to the shortest day and then the nights will get shorter.

As for techniques, develop your own. Do make sure cars overtake you and don't force you into the curb but that is easier said than done on a small bike in the wet. If in doubt, slow down slowly until the idiot has passed. Don't grab anything too hard, especially in the wet. Look 2 to 3 time further ahead than you would in a car and expect everyone else to attempt to kill surprise you. It comes naturally after a while.

Enjoy the grin on your face and the buzz you will get after a good ride. I still regularly want to ride a few extra miles when I have arrived at work in the mornings and I am year 36/37 of riding.

Good luck.

Welcome sye,,, you"l be amazed at the grip modern tyres have in the wet, i don"t mean go flat out, :eusa_doh: ,, but keep a steady pace, get your lines right, this 5mph thing is a no no,, :shakeno:,,---- enjoy. it get even better in the summer, , especialy with more power,, :spin2:

Hi Si,

Welcome to the forum.

First of all, and you won't like this, if you are hypersensitive about sliding and falling off. should you be on two wheels?

This isn't the best time of the year to start riding on two wheels. You are going to get rain, wet leaves, mud, frost, black ice,even snow etc.

The best advice I can give you is take your bike out around mid-day to some quiet place in the countryside and and get used to all the nuances.

OR go into a deserted car park at night and just ride around for an hour or so to see if you and your bike can become one.

Hope this helps without to much gloom

Mike

I still regularly want to ride a few extra miles when I have arrived

+1!!!!!

I have gone 4 whole junctions past my motorway exit before, as I was so busy enjoying the ride!

I have gone 4 whole junctions past my motorway exit before, as I was so busy enjoying the ride!

Presumably you mean the M4, so from what junction to what junction do you mean? If I'd have known I would have met you at J17 with a cup of coffee :lol:

Unless you were going on the eastbound side.

Only joking.

Hey guys, Thanks a lot for the warm welcome and all the advice.

I went out for a nice long ride this afternoon, cold but dry. Much more confident.

I think it is a head thing. Inside and out. What I mean by that is, I bought a new, lighter weight, open face helmet today. I originally bought one of those flip down jobbies when I bought the bike and it is really heavy and constricting compared to the open face one. I have a wider field of vision, its easier to turn my head to the sides and check my blind spots and I can hear much better.

As to the inside of the head, well, I watched "The worlds fastest Indian" last night, what an inspiration old Burt is/was. Talk about inspire confidence.

I think it's more the dark mornings and evenings that make me more hesitant than the weather, actually.

Like I said, riding in the daylight on a dry road, even in London traffic, felt a whole load better today.

Do you have to use your foot brake when doing hill starts? I have been finding it easier hold the bike on the hand brake as the right hand naturally releases the brake as the throttle is applied and the clutch let out. If I did that on my test would I get marked down for it? I don't want to get into the habit if it's a definite no no.

Have a good weekend all. I look forward to your replies. :thumb:

Do you have to use your foot brake when doing hill starts? I have been finding it easier hold the bike on the hand brake as the right hand naturally releases the brake as the throttle is applied and the clutch let out. If I did that on my test would I get marked down for it? I don't want to get into the habit if it's a definite no no.

What I tend to do is pull up to the vehicle in front of me, get in neutral and hold the bike using the front brake lever, (both feet are on the ground),when moving off apply clutch lever and select first gear, put right foot on rear brake pedal, let go of front brake lever, rev up slowly and let the clutch lever out, when it bites take your foot off the rear brake pedal and away you go.

Don't forget, practice makes perfect.

Hello Si,

Read your post and felt I could at least give some advice to you.

Firstly your YBR is a good choice (in my opinion) to start learning on, and good to hear that your thinking of protecting yourself properly.

Right as for your riding skills. I've been riding for about 4 years now. I started on a scooter and it did about 50mph and i had that for about 2 years. then took my CBT on a geared bike and then brought myself a YZF-R125. Totally awesome bike. Only did 70mph but got there pretty quickly. I rode this bike in pretty much every weather condition that was doable to ride in. I rode it for another 2 years, past my full licence and now ride a 600. The point i'm trying to make is that it for me was all about getting out there and riding my bike as long as I could everywhere I could, because then I grew in confidence with cornering, braking, uphill starting, downhill braking and cornering. You name it, I did it and just from riding about learnt more by doing that then any instructor could, that and its cheaper!

So get out there Si and just take your time with it. Go round the bloke again and again untill you know it like the back of your hand, then go further, and further. I can do something like 300 miles in a day (with breaks of course) and feel that I've still leanrt something from it.

Going slowly round corners till you have got your confidence about cornering is a good mind set to have. As you get more confident you go round the corners quicker.

I will take the opputunity to say that it is very important that you 'Claim the road' like your friend says. Keeping yourself in the middle of the road and giving yourself enough time to pass parked traffic and staying out there near the line is all good riding. DON'T let the car drivers boss you about. You have as much right to be there in the road as they do. SO 'CLAIM THE ROAD!'

I hope this all helps, and bottomline, Good Luck.

Kind regards

Chappers

Do you have to use your foot brake when doing hill starts?

You don't 'have' to and there are times when I have not. I personally find it easier, especially on steeper hills.

The reason you're taught to use the rear brake is that, if you give it too much revs and you're holding it on the front, you're more likely to spin the rear wheel - The bike will low-side on the spot and take your leg(s) out with it, before spinning around on the road a bit and smacking anything around you.

On the rear, it's just more likely to stall.

Presumably you mean the M4,

This was missing J17 on the M25 and ending up somewhere in the 20s... I don't do that trip often (if I can help it) and it was a trip for work, so I was enjoying as much of a bad day as possible.

I'm at J11 M4, but I rarely get the chance to go out West... :(

Hi Si, Welcome to the site!

Hill starts.....1st gear + rear brake(foot brake)+ little revs + bite point + less rear brake + life saver to pull away = happy chappy doing a hill start.

Wet riding conditions.....take it slow, but confidently bikes do not like jerky movements so just relax and dont become tense. "IF" you hit a wet drain cover dont panic your only be on the drain for a few second then the tyres will be back on the tarmac where the grip is, the bike will wobble but if you stay calm and play it cool the wobble will go and your be fine. If not then your off. (ask Auzz who's on here when he sore me hit a wet drain lol Quite funny as a little bit of poo came from my bum!)

OTHER THAN THAT RIDE WITH AS MUCH CONFIDANCE AS YOU CAN FIND! dont kerb cuddle as those cage drivers will think its an opertunity to over take and put your life at risk, your bike can do the national speed limit so they have no reason to need to over take you. If your in a residentual area then they should never over takeso there is no need for your to kerb cuddle, And you also pay road tax so use all the road you want! (just not the wrong side tho HA-HA)

All the best and happy riding!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online